Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I was just informed there was another Fuel type spill IN the Intracoastal Waterway and is affecting OUR area ??? :hoppingmad ... WTF ??? ... anyone have any more info ?? :boo

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
Aviation fuel...near the Theo Baars bridge...they got it sort of roped off and are in the process of cleaning it up. Last night wind was from the west and tide was moving toward the bridge so it stayed down from us. This morning the smell was much worse. They think it came from a barge...haha...I know it did but they didn't ask me. We did get a call saying to avoid swimming etc... since it might be irritating to skin and eyes...

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_vid_8026.shtml

PERDIDO KEY- Jet fuel is floating on the Innercoastal Waterwa, and the Coast Guard is trying to figure out where it came from.

Its called J-P 8- the fuel is flammable, and kerosene based.

It happened near Theo Baars bridge near Perdido Key... In the waters where the where Interacoastal Waterway and Grand Lagoon meet.

Liz Nagy/Reporting- "The smell of gas out here is still really strong, and people who live on these boats say it's gotten better since this afternoon...."

*(Liz adlibs)*

Now back to the jet fuel spill near Perdido Key.

It happened near Theo Baars Bridge near Perdido Key...

The smell of gas out here is still really strong, and people who live on these boats say it's gotten better since this afternoon.

Before the sun set you could see a film floating on the water as you drove over the bridge.

Fuel-soaked water splashed up against the shoreline.

Brad Rasmussen- "Just red liquid washing up on the beach. You could see it on pockets."

Kimberly Cicero- "It looks grody. When I was driving over the bridge I thought it looked gross."

But there were no warning signs posted on the beach.

Firefighters had to chase Kimberly and her kids out of the water.

By then, she says, the smell was intoxicating.

Kimberly Cicero- "Its pretty strong, smells like gas"

Lance Baucem- "You don't want it coming in contact with your skin. So for them to not know is probably the worst part."

Florida Fish and Wildlife says this is what the jet-fuel filled water looked like.

The Coast Guard is still trying to figure out where it came from.

Brad Rasmussen- "It started after one of the barges went through here. One of those fuel barges."

Environmental clean up teams tried to soak up the last of the gas before sundown.

But some people who live along the water say they still don't feel safe.

Lance Baucem- "If they don't know where it came from than who's to say it won't come back in a month, month and a half when all the kids are out there swimming. By then it's too late."

Now, if it was a barge that spilled jet fuel into the water it could still be leaking.

Those environmental clean up crews say they got the jet fuel out of the water in this area, but they'll have to track down the source tomorrow morning.<span style="DISPLAY: none">Jet Fuel Spill

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
<span class=pp>The cleanup of an aviation fuel spill along the Intracoastal Waterway from Big Lagoon State Park to Innerarity Point continues today.<span class=aa>

<span class=adlabel-horz>
The spill was reported about 3 p.m. Monday by people near the Theo Baars Bridge, Escambia County Commissioner Gene Valentino said.<span class=aa><span class=pp>The slick was quickly identified as a type of diesel fuel used in aviation, he said.

Valentino and other county officials have boarded a boat to get a closer look at the spill.

County spokeswoman Sonya Daniel said the amount of fuel spilled has not been determined. She also said officials were trying to determine where the spill occured.

The smell of petroleum was in the air near the Theo Baars Bridge this morning.<span class=aa>

<span class=pp>By 5 p.m. Monday, an environmental company had began to contain and clean up the spill with the assistance of the U.S. Coast Guard, Valentino said.<span class=aa>

<span class=pp>Escambia County Fire and Rescue, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and county officials were working at the scene until late Monday to evaluate the damage caused by the spill.<span class=aa>

<span class=pp>"I would say the spill is about three-quarters to a mile long," Valentino said.<span class=aa>

<span class=pp>Oil containment booms were placed along the waterway.<span class=aa>

<span class=pp>The source of the spill remains under investigation, Valentino said.<span class=aa>

<span class=pp>"I urge boaters and swimmers out of the water for the next 48 hours until at such time the Coast Guard says the spill is contained," Valentino said.<span class=aa>

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
The coast guard has the ability to test the fuel and get samples of any and all tugs or boats that went through the area. They can then compare and tell exactly which one spilled or pumped it out. The testing method is like DNA testing of the liquid..

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Aviation fuel would come from one of the barges that deliver to the bases in our area, they run up and down the intercostal all the time. Sounds like the one that leaked didn't know it had leaked. That's a lot of money going into the water to not miss. My guess is they'll miss the fuel when they go to offload and come up short. I can't imagine this was done intentionally, that's like throwing money away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts