Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been in the newspapers, posted on websites and bantered about in general. The exact dates for this years Red Snapper season will probably get published in March or April. The sounds of outrage will most likely make ears ring. That's ok because there is nothing that can be done about it anyway to change it.



The protest this month in Washington D.C. may help to focus some attention and national interest on the fishing situation. I didn't go to any of the local protest by the commercial people (charter boats included) and I won't go to D.C. either because I refuse to lend my presence and voice to a cause that ultimately will be the demise of the sport I love. These protests are about income not national resource sustainability. Last year a friend of mine made a comment about how eventually the recreational angler bag limit for Red Snapper would be one fish per season. If the fishery isn't managed for sustainability, that could become a reality.



The larger charter boats bring more Red Snapper to the dock in a single day than are caught off my boat for the whole season. I'm guessing that it goes the same for the most of the rest of recreational anglers as well. I think maybe it's time to put all the commercial interests in one basket. With the charter fleet combined with the commercial fleet they can fish twelve months a year and be fairly well regulated. The division of the TAC would be a matter of contention to say the least, however, I think that letting them split 51% of a public resource amongst themselves is more than fair. The remaining 49% should be kept for the recreational anglers. Doing it this way will let the commercial sector have the ability to fish 12 months or 6 months to meet their TAC, which ever way they want. At the same time this would give the recreational anglers a much longer season and better bag limit while maintaining a sustainable fishery.



The fisheries councils in all actuality try to do the best that they can with what's available. I'm not saying that everything that they do is right or fair. Their job is to manage our fishery resources in such a manner that we have sustainable resources with the maximum bag limits and seasons. If the regulating councils appease the charter industry, we will end up in the same boat that the S.E. Atlantic Region is in now, no bag limit and no season.
 

·
Whizzed off realist
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
There you go again Kim. These wicked charter boats were here long before you and your self-rightous soul came along. I would venture to say that you are one that would attempt to run down a charter boat in the act of fishing only to find out that it was a public spot. You bash the fleet that serves people who either cannot or chose not to own a boat. I would never have gotten as far in this industry if it were not for the people who want me to take them fishing. You need to quit kicking this horse. It died a long time ago. Maybe you should buy all my good customers a boat so they won't be "forced" to go fishing off those mean ole charter boats. Boo Hoo Boo Hoo

Capt. Jim Stone www.aquaventurecharters.com
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a grip, I have never said get rid of charter boats, not once. I'm all for you guys to be able to have a TAC that you can fish for 12 months 6 months or 2 months what every you choose. I just would like to see the charter fleet separated from recreational fishing. I am 100% behind your right to make a living as a charter boat captain. I believe that the charter fleet should be regulated and administered by the Department of Commerce just like the commercial fleet and not be tied to recreational fishing. I do believe that the charter fleet provides a service to anglers on vacation, that don't have a boat etc and they have the right to take the opportunity to make a living in the manner they choose. The charter fleet take people fishing not out of altruism but for profit and as such should be administered as commercial fishers. I just want to have recreational fishing for recreational anglers.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top