Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love fishing at night but HATE not being able to see ! I have GPS and bottom machine, and have tried hand held spot lights and really didnt like how they take your hands away from the controls, I am wanting to mount some running lights on the rail around my center console, my question is it leagl to run with these on, I thought there might be an issue with blinding an oncoming vessel.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,306 Posts
You can run with them on or run into something..! Do you have a chartplotter with your GPS? That's what you need so you know where you're going. Also slow down..!

I also use a FLIR camera but's that's expensive..

·
Registered
763 Posts
Radar comes in real handy at night.

If are attempting to install "headlghts" so you can run fast at night, then you are dangerous to yourself and other boaters.

1. Boats don't have brakes. By the time you see the obstacle, you will hit it.
2. You and the other boaters will have their night vision ruined.
3. Spotlights are used sparingly. Docking lights are used for docking, not out in open water.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I used to sail alot at night up on the chesapeake bay and the choptank river. Even sailed into the Baltimore Inner Harbor several times at night. I never used a spotlight unless I needed to see a number on a marker. Always hated it when another boat was using a bright light and shined it my way cause night vision goes down the tube when that happens. Used my charts, my depth finder, and the lighted channel markers to tell where I was at.

Incidently, in case you werent aware of it, the marker lights have specific flash patterns so if you have a chart you can tell what marker you are looking at by the flash pattern.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have a chart plotter, but I feel if it is man made it CAN AND WILL FAIL, as far as running WOT never wrote that NEVER implied that, usually run JUST fast enough to get on plain, no need to put words in my mouth, was SIMPLY asking if it was LEGAL to have running likes just like a car so I would FEEL safer SEEING where I was going.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth my friend. Just making a safety statement for consideration.

You can look up the USCG rules of the road online and get your legal answer.

Good luck...be safe.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts