Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the coop this AM and low and behold this joker had 4 fer sure TURKEY eggs and maybe a 5th one... He was let go a few hundred yards away. I think it's my biggun that lives in my shed, hopefully another one is still in there...:D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I believe I woulda took him a little further away than that. Maybe a mile or so down the road and hoped he didn’t find his way back to the buffet.

·
Super Moderator
28,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's all good Scott... Made me say a bad word when I reached down fer the eggs!!! hahaha should be use to finding em in there, prob the 10 or so I have taken out.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
When I had chickens I learned early on to look up before I walked into the coop cause those suckers will just lay up there till you get your eggs and then scare the heck outta ya when you turn to go out. The snakes were well versed in the language I used back then.

·
Premium Member
9,612 Posts

Saw the title and thought somebody stole your grill.

·
Super Moderator
28,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Aw Jason, first liars ain't got a chance!

Shoot Jason! I can beat that without breaking a sweat. I can't remember the last time I saw a Gray Ratsnake but we are et uo with Yellow Ratsnakes down here.

Last week I evicted one (5 miles from here and across the Cross Florida Barge Canal and then the Withlacoochee River,) another one died on the electric I have around my chicken yard, then killed 2 that would have gotten away clean and been in the nest boxes the same day. Those 2 were the first non-poisonous snakes I have killed in 50 years or more.

Last week I saw a 7 foot (well, at least close) Coachwhip at my daughter in law's house. Heather freaked.

I've seen more Indigo Snakes this year than any 5 years in the past 40 or so. I've also noticed that we have almost no Toads or tree frogs this year. Snakes? Darned if I know. I haven't seen but one Diamond Back, one Pigmy and a Cottonmouth.

The Ratsnake on the electric fence got a pretty good laugh out of me after it was over. I reached down and grabbed his tail to pull him off the fence. I got a little tingle. When I lifted that sucker off the ground, I became the electrical ground and really got zapped. My elbow wouldn't work right for 10 minutes. That fence has got the power.

BTW, good video.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Serious question.

You ever get bitten by those non venomous snakes? If so, does it hurt?

Reason I ask, you see folks occasionally get bitten on TV by pythons and they bleed pretty bad. Looks like it would hurt like a SOB.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I've been bitten a few times trying to remove one from where they shouldn't be and I don't really call it "hurt" but more of an uncomfortable bite. I always clean the bite area good with alcohol or peroxide and follow it up with a little Neosporin just for good measure.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
I've been bitten a few times trying to remove one from where they shouldn't be and I don't really call it "hurt" but more of an uncomfortable bite. I always clean the bite area good with alcohol or peroxide and follow it up with a little Neosporin just for good measure.
Just curious, I have an old barn I occasionally see them in. I don't have critters, so I usually leave them alone.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grey rats are usually more docile then red rats... Been bit by rat snakes/water snakes/black snakes/pythons/boas/exotic lizards....they have little tiny needle teeth and the bite doesn't hurt, it startles you...they do bleed when it happens.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Grey rats are usually more docile then red rats... Been bit by rat snakes/water snakes/black snakes/pythons/boas/exotic lizards....they have little tiny needle teeth and the bite doesn't hurt, it startles you...they do bleed when it happens.
Thanks,

I think I will use a stick if I ever need to move one.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,564 Posts
I'm always happy to see people who aren't major pussies over a harmless non venomous snake.
Thank you for not killing it, very beneficial critters.

Now cottonmouths, kill'em all.

Reactions: MaxxT

·
Praedator
9,978 Posts
Just have to watch it for infection! Their mouths are full of nasty stuff! But almost like being bit by any wild critter!!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just have to watch it for infection! Their mouths are full of nasty stuff! But almost like being bit by any wild critter!!!!

After some of the folks I come into contact with at work, nasty snake mouth ain't nothing Jon....You know that!!!:yes::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I do not think the bites are as bad as the lovely perfume I am sure you were wearing after that encounter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts