Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly thought about not making another report whenI caught tripletail this year because I don't want to see this great fishery go the way of the cobia fishery, but I was pressured to make a report by my guide and my buddy. We want Captain William Manci with Eastern Shore Outfitters to book trips, so call him at 251-269-7463. Or visit his web site...http://www.easternshoreoutfitters.org/. We fished for 5 hours today and went 16 out of 17 on tripletail. The one fish we failed to catch was swimming with another fish thatI had hooked. I was waiting to jack him up so we could try to get the other fish to eat but I didn't need any more encouragement from Captain William when he said to go ahead and jack the fish up and not worry about his buddy. I jacked my fish up and the other one sounded so we didn't catch it. We also lost one fish that was hooked, but we were trying to tow it over to another fish so we could go for a double header. We had TWO double headers on the boat today, which was a first for Capt. William- henever had a double header before, much less two. We had a great time as always and were able to fish with mono more on this trip- didn't need the braid as much. We had a limit pretty early- 9 fish.I actualy considered going in, but Captain William said it was up to us so we decided to do our thing and we kept fishing- good thing we did because we ended up releasing 7 more fish. We wore them out. All our fish were in the 17 to 22 inch class- from 4 to about 10 lbs. If I could stress one thing to my fellow anglers I would say don't overfish tripletail because of my posts. I know we kept 9 fish today- our limit, but we won't keep that many again this year and we released 7 fish after that. I want to encourage fellow anglers to let some fish go so we can enjoy the fishery year after year. It is such a remarkable fishery- probably my favorite type, and I've done it all. I would not have kept 9 fish if this was not the only trip I will take this year where I would actually keep a limit. I think I'll add some pics and video at this point, and thanks for reading. PLEASE reply with any thoughts- I hate a post with 2000 views and 20 replies, which is whatI end up with after most of my reports.

Our guide with a fattie I caught... (above)

I will add some vieo if anyone posts on how to do it. Tight lines all, and please remember to not overfish the tripletails..

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are still the man Gump. Wish you would have been there- it's right up your alley and you are the master angler!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a blast Mike! Captain William Manci is the man:bowdown. Hey gump you missed out:moon

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Ok, I'llreply with a question...Where is that Triple Tail Honey Hole? LOL I have only found them off shore around floating debris...I'll trade you an offshore trip for a inshore triple tail trip..

Awesome report!:bowdown

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have never had triple tail,, is it a real white meat fish like grouper or flounder, or oily, what is the best way to prepare it??

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trips fillet out with very nice white meat but I have never eaten one- I gave the last batch to JEC. I am told they fried them up at his workplace and loved them. No one had ever heard of tripletail. Captain William says he fries his too- they don' t last long enough for him to bother freezing some with his wife and 2 daughters. I have mine planned for a date with the grill and maybe the fryer too- we had a lot of fillets. Got to love letting the captain clean the fish.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Great trip...I am going to target them over here in Pensacola. I hope to go and look for them this weekend or next week. What size circle hook, and what pound floro leader/ how long? Thanks.

If you have any tips you would like to pass on in a pm that would be great. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the reply Ron (Tuna Man). I just finished putting my fillets in the Food Saver. I'm out of bags for them but I have a nice freezer of fillets waiting on me. Just so EVERYONE knows- I did not break the law today on my trip- we kept our limit and released the rest. Please do the same if you happen to get on the fish...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts