Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jimmy Jimenez and I fished Saturday in the ECRC tournament in Panama City. The day was one of the best we have had in a good while, a little hot but a welcome day based on our past several trips.

We launched at daylight and made our way to our first spot, we normally have a plan of A, B, C, D spots as well as have a location that is relatively close to the weigh in location in order for us to get back and start setting up for the weigh in. Upon arriving at our A spot we pulled into the area and splashed the trolling motor, water was slick calm, stained but somewhat clear, and neap. We both started throwing spoons in an effort to locate fish in the area, and after 3cast each Jimmy hooks up and I do as well seconds after Jimmy alerts me "fish on". We are doubled up and it's 6:10am. We land both fish and we have two in the livewell one22 1/2 and one 23 1/2,at 6:15am. We cull a few from the first stop, and have several more that come unpinned for some reason. I have never seen anything like it, I had 3 fish come unhooked after almost a complete fight to the boat only to see the spoon come back at me with out a Redfish attached just before the landing net was lowered. Later as the sun had gotten high enough to light the water, we leave and go to B spot, we poled the flat and seen a few fish, but not the number that was there a week earlier when Jimmy had spent some time in an effort to locate and plan our spots. We leave and go to C spot with the same results and leave within half an hour of shutting down the outboard. Having a nice pair in the box, we decide to go back to A spot and spend the rest of our time there and see if we can upgrade a time or possibly two. On the way back, I mentioned to Jimmy that there is a small creek on the way that we should check, I got no objection so we pull into the very shallow creek shortly thereafter. We were fishing on Jimmy's boat, which is a 169 Ghost and a wonderful shallow water platform. I took my place on the perch of the poling platform and started pushing the boat into the creek, while looking for any sign of fish. We both caught sight of movement on the right side of the boat at the same time, only to be entertained by a couple of very large crabs in a duel over a piece of underwater real estate, and both of us laughed at the sight of the hard crusted creatures trying to joust one another withtheir large pliers like weaponsin an effort to win the battle. They continued to fight as we floated over and very close to the contest, giving me the indication that the fight was more important than many I havewitnessed before.

Upon getting to the very back of the small creek we came to an area that opened up to be an extremely shallow saltwater pond. We could see several schools of fish making their way, and leaving slowtorpedo like wakes as they plundered the bottom, a mere 6 inches below the waters surface. Most of the fish were well out of casting range and we altered our position into a more likely spot in order to intersept the roving schools by putting the boat at the edge of a grass patch that not only provided slight cover in the extremely shallow water, but also created somewhat a gauntlet that we could expect the fish to swim through and give us an oppertunity to present an artificial imitation of the menu they were in pursuit of in an attempt to capture one from the pack as they passed. After a short wait that seemed much longer than it actually was, there was a small school approach the boat from the right and Jimmy made a cast in front of them and allowed the oncoming school to approach his attempt to fool one of them. The school changed directions and turned to make the perfect placement of Jimmy's cast not get the results it deserved. While Jimmy was retreaving the fake shrimp, I looked back toward the more expected side of approach and seen a larger school that was coming upon us. The school was large and making an amount of disturbance on the water's surface that sent me into a nervousness as they approached in the 6 inches of water that seperated us form them. Jimmy made what was another Perfect shot and his mock shrimp landed a boat length in front of the oncoming school of bruiser Redfish which appeared to be the Bullies of the Marsh. As they approached Jimmy's presentation, all was quite aboard the flatsboat as we both stood in antisipation of our attempt to foolone of theseextremely spooky targets in as shallow of water as Jimmy's boat would allow. As the school passed over Jimmy's effort one of the members of the pack thought he had found a prize and horded it all to himself. Upon feeling the Upgrade on the other end of his line, Jimmy very politely and effectively set the hook on our last fish fo the day, and I got the thrill of watching the 25 1/2" Redfish make aneffort to free himself over an incredible fight in clear extremely shallow water only to end with the Redfishmeeting a Bully bigger and badder than himself.

Jimmy and I got to witness this thrill live and in person, and within minutes of seeing it I made the statement I wish I had it on film to Share with others, as well as re-live for my own selfish intent. It was an amazing event to behold and one I hope to see astake part in,many more times before my bucket shows up.

It was something that I will remember for as long as I have the ability to.

Thanks, Jimmy.

I wish you Good Light and Clear Water

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J.Sharit (26/05/2010)It's those rare moments in time I want to see again in slow motionas my life flashes before me onmy way home....................
I completely agree.

There are just few times that most people like me get to experience things that fit the description of Extraordinary. The story above is one of those experiences to me. I told Jimmy that it would have made the edit on any Fishing Program and actually a Program could have been built around it, it was that good of stuff to witness. Right after Jimmy landed the fish, he looked at me and said that was so cool, that it was worth the expense of the tournament to get to do that, and I told him that many people would pay to be able to do what he just did and just as many would pay for a "chance" to do what he just did.

Truly a Great Story.

BTW, the "and We will burn the story onto the memory of film" is a quote from the introduction of "The Walker's Cay Chronicles". And Jimmy's fish story would fit there too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts