Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I suspected as much, but I now know that the doe I shot on Tuesday will be the last for me this year. Got to work the rest of the season, and no chance to sneak in one last trip.

My recap of this year:

1)Spent 5-7 days before season bush hogging roads, pushing out shooting lanes with a backhoe, planting foodplots. We have around 20 foodplots on 5 different properties.

2)Started deploying game cams 3 weeks before season came in. Was getting good pics of some REALLY nice bucks, some still with residual velvet. All pics of the good bucks were in the dead of night (2 AM).

3)Season came in and the deer continued to only move at night. There was a heavy acorn crop, and not enough cold weather to affect the browse, so the deer did not move to feed in daylight hours.

4)Monsoon season began with flooding everywhere and still no uptick in deer movement.

5)Finally got cold, and when it did, it got cold for 2 solid weeks with temps so low that I used propane heaters in the deerstand (never did that before).

6)Things finally began to pick up as the acorns that were left froze and soured on the ground, and local browse was frosted on and died back. Deer began to move pretty well.

7)Just as thinks were looking up, a warm spell hit and monsoon season started again (last week).

8)Now, season is officially running out, and I am out of chances to go.

Can't say that I feel like I saw as many deer as I usually do each year. This year felt like a struggle from the beginning, but I persevered and managed to get a few. On a good note, I bought a meat cubing machine that is SENSATIONAL at making venison fit for a king. I plan on putting up all of this last doe into cube meat.

Sooooo, here we go!<P align=center><U>ADIOS, DEER SEASON 2009-2010!: :reallycrying</U>

Who else is already suffering from hunting withdrawal??????

·
Registered
573 Posts
Have to say I gave it my best shot but that big buck seemed to have eluded me this year. Managed to put a few milkers in the freezer . Your right as far as not seeing as many deerthis year as the past couple of years but seemed like they were mostly moving at night. Seen some really nice deer shot & pics on the Forum . Let a nice buck walk that was in a food plot the beginning of the season but thought it was a little early ( mistake ). Well anyway saw my share of of spikes , cow horns & 4 points . Suresaw a lot of does with yearlings this year . Hate to see the season end as I really enjoyed hunting this past year. Bow hunted,muzzle loader hunted & gun hunted .

Your right about the rain man our place was like a mud hole . The bottoms were flooded and the roads were a mess & some of the places rubber boots were a must . Went in the camp one morning & it was 24 degrees the toilets were frozen & thetanks were frozen and we have one tank that broke but not bad broke just enough for a new one.

By the way good post & hope youhave better luck this up coming season. Have to be in the right place & the right time as always.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad called me again last night. He shot a 5 point on Wednesday. My sister-in-law went to the same stand the next day (thursday) and shot another 5 point.

DANG.... I wish I had a couple more days....:banghead

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Hey thats what keeps it exciting. There is always next time or next year to look forward to.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
i havent had a great local season this year. i had fantastic hunts in IL and GA but only saw a few small bucks on my AL property and have yet to have a buck step in front of me in FL. i know alot Alot ALOT of people that say this was their worst season in years. hopefully next year will be better. i shot 4 8+ pts in AL and FL last year and havent even seen a shooter this year.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I saw one good buck the last week in december. Have seen a handful of borderline bucks throughout the season but absolutely nothing like i expected. Saw fewer deer total than I ever have; however, I think I learned more this year than I ever have! I guess when they aren't moving around as much, you have to put more activity in with scouting and moving around to try to pattern out the few that you are seeing. All in all I had a good year though. Was able to shoot 2 pigs and learned a lot about deer behavior. The good one that I did see was only 10' away from being flopped before he made a wrong turn, got behind me, and winded me. I wish I could have that opportunity back. I have the weekend to hunt, and then I will have no problem saying adios to this season, better luck next year!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts