Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met my friend Don at Nicks Park ramp, New Port Richey, FL at 7:30. Don is not what one would call an accomplished angler and has been known to pull major boo-boo's, like launching his car while launching his boat. We, his friends, have coined a term for a really bad screw-up, calling it "Donning it" He's the type of guy that given two sticks and a hammer, he could not make a cross.

Anyway, we launched and ran to Anclote Island (about 5 miles away) where I easily loaded up on pilchards. Fished the cuts between Anclote and 3 Rooker, a sandbar about a mile south of Anclote, for a couple hours, landing a bunch of trash fish and some small snook and trout. Then, while casting a 1/4 oz bucktail jig, my 10# line was hit and line started disappearing off my 4000 reel at an amazing rate. I calmly told Don to get the anchor in and start the engine. He did not immediately respond, so in a much louder and much more excited voice I told him to "Get the d&@m anchor up and start the F$&(K93G engine." He finally got urgency of my my statement. After about 20 minutes, I see and identify a hooked cobia on the surface. I only had this rod rigged with 20# leader and I start to worry about getting frayed off in the mouth, but pull the fish back to the surface and see that it is foul hooked near the gill plate and not being rubbed on in it's mouth. Now my worry is a pulled hook. Another 20 minutes pass as the fish circles the boat several times, actually pulling the boat round and round. Finally I get it close enough for Don to grab a leader and slip a release gaff (the only gaff I have on this boat at this time) in the fishes jaw and drag it on board. Surprisingly, Don did a great job in gaffing this fish, considering it was the first one he had ever gaffed. Unlike a typical cobia, it merely and meekly laid on the deck without thrashing, and then did not thrash much when I put it in the cooler. Fished several more places, landing and releasing some reds and trout, as well as a couple nice macks, we called it a day at 2:00. Back at the dock, the cobia pulled the Boga to 30#'s Great day on the water and good eats for a couple friends and days.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts