Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current setup is ~20lb danforth anchor with ~25' of 3/8 galvanized chain. Anchors fine in sand, but I have problems anchoring on deeper hardbottom areas, like 150'. Rode is 600' and even in very calm conditions, it feels like the anchor is just bouncing along bottom. Any suggestions - grapnel style? plow? I don't anchor very often, but sometimes like to set up at night and fish.

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Contact Josh on the forum and have him make a rock anchor for your size boat and use the same amount of chain and scopeyou should be fine in hard or rockey bottom.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
For years I used a similar set up as yours also with similar results. It always irritated me that the my Danforth style anchor would not set as quick as I wanted. 2 years ago I added a Lewmar Claw anchor and larger chain, it sets quick and everytime! You can pick up a Lewmar Claw for under $70 for the 22 lb version which I use on a 36 Yellowfin or lighter ones for less. The claw is basically a cheap version of a Bruce anchor.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
MSYellowfin (3/9/2010)For years I used a similar set up as yours also with similar results. It always irritated me that the my Danforth style anchor would not set as quick as I wanted. 2 years ago I added a Lewmar Claw anchor and larger chain, it sets quick and everytime! You can pick up a Lewmar Claw for under $70 for the 22 lb version which I use on a 36 Yellowfin or lighter ones for less. The claw is basically a cheap version of a Bruce anchor.
You are correct about the claw anchors. However it will get hung in the edge where there are large rocks and get lost easily. The rock anchor is best for rocky areas. You just power it out and rebend the rebars back. The claw anchors are really great in the sand and usually require less scope than Danforth type. The more chain the better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the claw will hold, I am not worried about getting it out, will just rig it breakaway style - might try both and see what works - thanks guys....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts