Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those of you that venture out in the gulf in your yaks, how do you guys anchor out over structure or keep from drifting? I have an anchor trolley on the way to use with my stake-out pole for inshore but curious as to how or what you guys use to stay over structure in the gulf.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I know they say to have three times the water depth in rope but is that really necessary in a kayak? It just seems to me like it would take up a lot of space.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Honestly, I have an anchor but have never tried using it in the gulf. I'm sure somebody will have some advice. Wind, waves and 150' of rope to deal with in a kayak is too much for me.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Now I know they say to have three times the water depth in rope but is that really necessary in a kayak? It just seems to me like it would take up a lot of space.
I have 100' of 7 millimeter rated to around 1200 pounds. That plus an 8' chain has been enough for anchoring max of 50' to 70'. Anything deeper and I use a drift sock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does the drift sock slow you down enough to not have to keep relocating back over the structure every 5 min? And they also make different size chutes to slow the rate of drift down correct?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes you can get various sizes of socks from 56" down to 30", the bigger the sock the slower you drift away from your spot. My big sock can keep me in place for around 30 minutes or so. If the current, waves or wind are so strong the 56" sock doesn't hold me in place for long then I got bigger problems, think 25 knot winds and 4' to 5' waves. I usually don't go out far if the conditions are that bad,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely don't think I will be out in anything other than favorable conditions. I'm looking at trying the gulf thing out now that I got several inshore trips under my belt and feel pretty confident in my yak. Definitely will be looking at those drift socks. One more question though, can they be attached to a anchor trolley?

·
Registered
613 Posts
^^^ Yes no problem with using with a trolley. Keep an eye out on the forum, lots of folks have meet ups for going out for trolling or out farther to hit up the reefs. I try to get out most weekends, either Saturday or Sunday, shoot me a PM if you want to head out sometime.

·
RTR!
52 Posts
Anchoring in the Gulf

Here's a Cave Diving Reel that I wound with 325 Paracord. Hook the brass hook to your anchor trolley and the carabineer to your rode chain on your anchor. The yellow ball will keep your reel floating if you have to unhook to chase your fish. There's more than enough anchor line to anchor up in the Gulf.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help and ideas gents.

Loruna, I will definitely get with you sometime in the near future and try and plan a gulf trip. I work evenings and off on the weekends so my mornings and weekends are normally open. Well before my newborn lol so we shall see what the schedule will look like :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts