Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 23' single engine CC and looking to replace the anchor rope. This stuff is pretty costly so I want to get it right the <U>second</U> time. What do you guys use? I have been using around 20' of chain. What do you use attaching the chain to rope? Shackle or is there something sturdy but can be broken if needed to prevent having to lose the rope?

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
300' of 1/2" stranded nylon with your 20' of chain and a 13 Lb anchor. Splice the line into the chain link. use one of the stainless screw together oblong shackles on the anchor. Some people drill a hole in the plates on the bottom of the anchor and bolt the end of the chain there and use tie ties to hold the chain at the shank end of the anchor. That way when it gets hung you simply pull forward and break the tie ties and ALMOST all the time the anchor will unfoul. Lastley get a float ring assembly (heavy duty) from me and you will be ready to go. Never never use double braid for anchor line as it doesn't have any stretch when riding up and down on swells.

float ring assemblies

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hope this additional question doesn't derail.

My rope and chain are spliced together for the anchor ball and my winch.

Is there a way to disconnect the chain and rode to utilize a wreck anchor?

I just invision my chain getting into the wreck and getting tangled up when using my wreck anchor.

Hard to cut away 20-30ft of expensive chain. :banghead

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Run Dover (3/30/2010)Hope this additional question doesn't derail.

My rope and chain are spliced together for the anchor ball and my winch.

Is there a way to disconnect the chain and rode to utilize a wreck anchor?

I just invision my chain getting into the wreck and getting tangled up when using my wreck anchor.

Hard to cut away 20-30ft of expensive chain. :banghead
Marines:doh Scott you still need chain with a wreck anchor. Just take the shackel loose at the anchor and attach the wreck anchor. When you take the shackel out remember the pin in the shackle,righty tighty lefty loosie.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,093 Posts
What sealark said...

I used a larger "mighty mite" for a few years with 24 feet of chain. Never a problem. After awhile 3 of the 5 tines broke off and I never replaced it.

A nice tool to help rebend the tines. Take a 2' piece of 2x4 and drill about a one inch hole about halfway through the boardat about the centerpoint of the board. Install a stainless steel eye bolt in that hole so that the nut and bolt end are recessed in the hole and the board sits flat with the eye bolt up. You can easily bend the tines back into place while standing on both ends of the board. No muss no fuss trying to find a spot on the boat (usually a cleat) where you won't scratch the gel coat.

PS. Wreck anchors won't hold in 5' seas...

Jim

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,093 Posts
Ron,

I used a "cheater bar" for awhile but you still have to put the anchor on the deck and put pressure on it so that it will stay in place, or put thepipe somewhere to try to brace it,or try and hold both the anchor and pipe at the same time and squeeze... etc.

My tool you simply step on, put the tine in the eyebolt and lift the anchor. You can be a bit more exact in creating a nice curve by moving the tine in and out of the eyebolt too.

Jim

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dagum Sailors!!!!! :doh

OK Ron, I'll use your suggestion, but I'm marking my anchor, (BIGLETTERS)and you'll have to ride with me to go retrieve it, if it gets hung up!!! :letsdrink

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Run Dover (3/30/2010)Dagum Sailors!!!!! :doh

OK Ron, I'll use your suggestion, but I'm marking my anchor, (BIGLETTERS)and you'll have to ride with me to go retrieve it, if it gets hung up!!! :letsdrink
Ok Scott I'm ready to go, I have seatow and that covers me on any boat.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
sealark (3/30/2010)
Run Dover (3/30/2010)Dagum Sailors!!!!! :doh

Ok Scott I'm ready to go, I have seatow and that covers me on any boat.
\

Dang, you are funny!!!!! :letsdrink Not really!!!!:moon

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Ok scott you got me with the moon, I will be nice when I go and show you where the pass is. Maybe even all the way to the sea buoy..:doh:usaflag:grouphug

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would get a 600 foot spool of anchor line and a horizon claw anchor, either the eleven or the sixteen pound with ten foot of chain. To me it is more fun to anchor in the sand and let out your rode to position the boat upcurrent of the wreck. Then you can chum the fish to you. You need plenty of anchor line to do this. If the current is ripping you might have to set the anchor two to three hundred feet from the spot.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I use a 600ft spool of 1/2" line. I don't remember it being that expensive but I bought it 10 years ago. I don't throw the anchor in the wreck unless we are diving and then we move it before we come up. I havebeen using the same anchor for 10 years. I don't have any release mechanism rigged either. Maybe I have been lucky but I just don't get how some people lose anchors all the time and others don't. I did bend it once andmanaged to beat it back into shape with a sledge. I just splice the rope to the last link or chain. I redo the splice every couple of years or whenever I notice it wearing on the chain.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have 600 ft of 3/8" twisted nylon - 25 ft of 1/4" chain - with a swivel - I swap between a wreck/rock anchor and 13 lb Danforth depending the bottom

Heavy 25 ft center console - been using this for 18 years and anchoring in water out ot 300 ft (my record is 320' on a calm day with light current I think)

3/8" is plenty strong - I got the busted 13 lb danforths to prove it - and it stretches so you do not shock the anchor or boat as much in seas - it also has less drag so your anchor sets easier in deep water - and weighs/cost less

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
I hold 2 sections of 1/2"x600' anchor line with 8'x3/8" chain attached to a 22lb.fluke anchor. I normally anchor in 12-14' of water at Ft.McRae and back down on the beach. :letsdrink

Scott,why not get another section of rode and attach it to your wreck anchor? The Dollar store had some clothesline on sale for your non-anchoring,no fish catching,cant pull the hook without a windlass,anchor loosing ass! :moon

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I?ve also used a mighty mite and had several tines break off. You?d think for that kind of money they wouldn?t break off so easily. Good tips on straightening out the tines. I?ve always just manhandled the anchor and sometimes that can be a daunting task.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
bonita dan (3/30/2010)I hold 2 sections of 1/2"x600' anchor line with 8'x3/8" chain attached to a 22lb.fluke anchor. I normally anchor in 12-14' of water at Ft.McRae and back down on the beach. :letsdrink
Scott,why not get another section of rode and attach it to your wreck anchor? The Dollar store had some clothesline on sale for your non-anchoring,no fish catching,cant pull the hook without a windlass,anchor loosing ass! :moon
Oh no you dit'nt!!!!:nonono

What, does your boat have a motor in it this week? Does it run? :moon

Don't be a hater because I have 3 motors and they ALL run!!!! :doh

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Run Dover (3/31/2010)
bonita dan (3/30/2010)I hold 2 sections of 1/2"x600' anchor line with 8'x3/8" chain attached to a 22lb.fluke anchor. I normally anchor in 12-14' of water at Ft.McRae and back down on the beach. :letsdrink

Oh no you dit'nt!!!!:nonono

What, does your boat have a motor in it this week? Does it run? :moon

Don't be a hater because I have 3 motors and they ALL run!!!! :doh

Oh yes I did! Yes motors still in the boat and yes it does run. 3 motors? Are ya counting that windlass thingy or that motor mouth Marine? Go Army!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Go ahead Dan, you'll be quiet by Sat night when somethinghappens, and Sea tow go get's you.

Inviting anyone out for opening day of Snapper? Joe Z maybe?

I'll get Sealark going again and ask why do I need chain for a wreck anchor? Oh yea, I know where the Pass is Ron, I see you staring at it every morning!!! :poke :letsdrink

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Scott, I will be going through the pass in the morning, How about you? Do you need thenumbers for it?:doh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts