Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After last weekend i am short one anchor, 12 feet of chain, and something like 160 feet of rope. When i started pricing all this stuff new, i realized this sucks. I've heard of a way to rig your anchor from the back with a ziptie so the ziptie breaks and the anchor pulls loose if ever hung. Can someone explain this to me so i'm sure i understand how it's done. Also if anyone is using this method, what are you thoughts on it? how does it work? Does it ever break the tie when you don't want it to. Does anybody know what i'm talking about? Help?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Proper anchor methods are to use 5 to 7 times the depth of the water in feet of anchor line. If you are anchoring closer maybe try using the wreck anchor which will be designed to give way and be retrieved. My boat is pretty heavy and so I drop a good distance away in case the anchor drags a bit and let the anchor ball deal with the extra work. Zip ties can be weak even when purchased new and I am sure over time you will find some weak ones. Only other suggestion is get to know a diver because they find and retrieve anchors all the time. They like to fish too and will be able to go get your anchor if you do get hung up. Atleast you made the safe decision to take the loss and not tear your boat up or hurt someone by parting your anchor line pulling on it.

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cml5207 (24/04/2010)Proper anchor methods are to use 5 to 7 times the depth of the water in feet of anchor line. If you are anchoring closer maybe try using the wreck anchor which will be designed to give way and be retrieved. My boat is pretty heavy and so I drop a good distance away in case the anchor drags a bit and let the anchor ball deal with the extra work. Zip ties can be weak even when purchased new and I am sure over time you will find some weak ones. Only other suggestion is get to know a diver because they find and retrieve anchors all the time. They like to fish too and will be able to go get your anchor if you do get hung up. Atleast you made the safe decision to take the loss and not tear your boat up or hurt someone by parting your anchor line pulling on it.
that sho is alot of rope but your right that is what they say. I add a little extra chain to cut down on the rope. This is actually the first one i have ever lost. I've got them hung before but they alway's came loose pretty easy. I won't try to hard to pull them loose, i've heard too many horror stories. It's not worth the chance of something bad happening.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I had my anchor rigged that way, but didn't like the chain running down the shaft. It seemed to restrict the swivel from side to side of the anchor. So I made a length of 3/16 stranded stainless cable and used lead swedges to cover the ends. It works great and doesn't hang up.

Skip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts