Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me is there a chart orrule of thumbto figure out how much anchor line is needed to properly anchor up if you know the avg depthone would be trying to anchor in say 60 to 70 ft of water

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Get 300 feet of anchor line and make sure you use a lot of chain with an appropriate size anchor for you boat and you will be just fine in up to about 90 feet. The heaver and longer the chain the less scope you can use.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The OLE Sit Down.

Rule of thumb is 7 to 1 scope. That is CG recommendations. I use 600 ft. of rope and anchor in 240ft. of water often. As mentioned before, its all in the chain. The amount of rope needed to anchor will change with every trip to the Gulf. The current and wave height and wave period will be different every trip. Its all in the CHAIN!!!!!!

·
Praedator
9,916 Posts
sealark (1/13/2010)Get 300 feet of anchor line and make sure you use a lot of chain with an appropriate size anchor for you boat and you will be just fine in up to about 90 feet. The heaver and longer the chain the less scope you can use.
Yep,

I have 300 feet of rope and 20 feet of chain for a 19 foot boat. My boat never goes anywhere. Unless it is rough as all get out or the current is ripping 8 knts, usually it's just my chain weight that holds the boat in place. How do I know, because I dive down and see it. Chain, chain and more chain and you will be good to go. 300 feet of rode anchors me in 5 feet and in 140 feet.

People that dive with me become my windlass and they hate me for it. But I don't move when I anchor.:letsdrink

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
I have had the boat drag anchor with 600 ft of rode @ the edge with 10' of chain. Now, I use 15' and keep 900 ft of 5/8" for the 42' boat. One thing Ive not seen anyone say anything about a swivel. The 3 part nylon line most of use will force the anchor to "roll". Ive had this happen anchoring in shell hash.... not so much when anchoring in sand or mud. Anchor retrieveal rings and norweigan bouys are great as long as on remembers not to suck them into the wheel.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Telum Pisces (1/13/2010)
sealark (1/13/2010)Get 300 feet of anchor line and make sure you use a lot of chain with an appropriate size anchor for you boat and you will be just fine in up to about 90 feet. The heaver and longer the chain the less scope you can use.
Yep,

I have 300 feet of rope and 20 feet of chain for a 19 foot boat. My boat never goes anywhere. Unless it is rough as all get out or the current is ripping 8 knts, usually it's just my chain weight that holds the boat in place. How do I know, because I dive down and see it. Chain, chain and more chain and you will be good to go. 300 feet of rode anchors me in 5 feet and in 140 feet.

People that dive with me become my windlass and they hate me for it. But I don't move when I anchor.:letsdrink
anchor ball:letsdrink

·
Praedator
9,916 Posts
nextstep (1/13/2010)
Telum Pisces (1/13/2010)
Yep,

anchor ball:letsdrink
I have one and use it when we can. But because we dive, we typically throw it into the wreck/rubble. I can sometimes move the anchor into the sand away from the wreck once down, but depending on the wreck we still may not be able to use the anchor ball. If we did, we would simply pull the anchor right into the wreck.:banghead When we do use it, people on the boat love it. I never had a problem pulling anchor though.:doh

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Telum, I would bet if you put the anchor in the sand one inch from the wreck it would never get hung in the wreck when you float the anchor with an anchor ball. Think about it when pulling with the ball it takes a strain on the anchor before the ball gets above the anchor. If it starts to slip it will come away from the wreck. Buy the time the ball gets over the anchor it is well off the bottom and coming up.I have never had an anchor rehang into a wreck from pulling it and I always put it right next to the wreck in the sand..

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I would have to agree about the chain. On thing though, the WEIGHT of the chain matters more then the length of chain. Example 15' of 1/2" chain is gonna weigh more the 25' of 1/4" chain.

I personally think the weight and conditions matter more then the scope rule thing. On your boat as mine I'm sure room is a priceless comodity. If I had a 15lb danforth type anchor, 40lb or chain and 300 feet of rode out at the edge in 1' seas it most likely would hold my 25' boat. The 42' boat mentioned above, I'm sure the same set upwouldn't hold it.

I'm sure a 12lb danforth anchor, 15' of 1/2" or 3/8" chain and 300' of rope will hold your boat. The scope comes into play on my boat when the seas build and lets the boat ride over the waves easy. If it is that bad though, I'm coming in or not anchoring at all. To short a scope with a holding anchor will cause your bow to get swamp by a wave and you take a chance of breaking your cleats.

Like I said, If it gets that bad it might be a good idea to head in, and for sure not anchor. Just my opinion though.

·
Praedator
9,916 Posts
sealark (1/13/2010)Telum, I would bet if you put the anchor in the sand one inch from the wreck it would never get hung in the wreck when you float the anchor with an anchor ball. Think about it when pulling with the ball it takes a strain on the anchor before the ball gets above the anchor. If it starts to slip it will come away from the wreck. Buy the time the ball gets over the anchor it is well off the bottom and coming up.I have never had an anchor rehang into a wreck from pulling it and I always put it right next to the wreck in the sand..
I'll give it a shot next time.

And what deeplines is saying about the weight of the chain is correct to. I have heavier chain, I think 3/8, and it weighs a ton when pulling it up by hand.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Agree the length and weight of chain is more important than the ratio. 3 to 1 or 5 to 1 rope ration will work if you have the right length and weight of chain.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much I had tried to anchor up in the pass a while back in50 to 60 ft in a good currant I have a 10 ft chain on my anchorthat is rated for a 20ft boat and mine is a 16 ftbut only 100ft of rope and I just couldnt get hooked up kept drifting

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I figure if 3:1 won't hold it it too rough or there is too much current to be out there anyhow. I'm sure you meant you were anchoring near the pass out of the channel, not right in the pass right?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
backlashnpcola (1/13/2010)Thank you so much I had tried to anchor up in the pass a while back in50 to 60 ft in a good currant I have a 10 ft chain on my anchorthat is rated for a 20ft boat and mine is a 16 ftbut only 100ft of rope and I just couldnt get hooked up kept drifting
100 foot of linein that situation isn't enough the anchor would never have a chance to set even with 20 foot of chain.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I suck at getting anchored where I want to be. Learning a lot from thread. I thought the chain was to prevent loosening anchor in debris and i don't use it, but I'll have some soon. Why is the chain so important? Does the weight keep the anchor in a better position to dig in?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Jighead (1/15/2010)I suck at getting anchored where I want to be. Learning a lot from thread. I thought the chain was to prevent loosening anchor in debris and i don't use it, but I'll have some soon. Why is the chain so important? Does the weight keep the anchor in a better position to dig in?
The chain is very important it is a must it keeps the shank of the anchor down so the flukes can dig into the sand. The more the better.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Here's some triva that most likely on the navy folks now but the CHAIN is what keeps the Aircraft Crarrier in place NOT THE ANCHOR. Of course the rope is a chain on on a navy ship but the chain stacked upon chain is what holds the ship in place not the anchor. An that is one big anchor. :usaflag

1 - 20 of 22 Posts