Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been trying to catch a good size shark, kind of a to do thing on my bucket list. I have only caught a few in my life and none over 2 ft. I am looking for 6 to 9'. The ultimate goal is to tie a rope around the tail, tow him to shore and get the famous sitting on his back while you grab the nose pull it up and show off a mouth full of teeth picture. My worry is I might end up looking like a pirate with a hook for an arm. For any of you that know me, it might be to my detriment, but I am not scared of many things that I should be of. And I don't want to end up like Jerry Reed's character in his song Amos Moses

Now the folks around south Louisiana
Said Amos was a hell of a man
He could trap the biggest meanest alligator
And he'd just use one hand
That's all he got left cause an alligator bit it
Left arm gone clear up to the elbow

So the question is this, I want to release this fish unharmed, that being said, can this picture be taken while said fish is still alive, if so how should I do this to make sure all limbs are in tact after the photo ?????

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
From a boat? My experience is they expire or at least go way down hill with little towing... For me, when I want a pic, after a boat caught shark, I want him dead or near dead... We will tail lasso him and drink a beer while we re live the fight. then we either bring him aboard for pics (250 or under) or tow him lifeless to the dock for pics... He is then sold to lobster fishermen or crabbers for bait...

Brent

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Pictures are a great thing. here is my 2 cents. I operate a charter service, we catch our fair share of good sharks. Policy on the Fat Jax boat is we do not harvest large sharks, these are the breeders and there is simply not enough of them. The clients do not have any problems with this policy. and it is discussed during booking, during the fight, all the time. besides they are like eating a old billy goat. tuff on the human jaws.

If you do catch a nice one, take the picture boat side and release the fighter to go make more fighters.

I have tail roped a couple, took them to the beach for the photo op, and released them, however use caution. this really takes them down hill, like stated above. Reviving them takes time and effort, just don't simply push them off into the surf.

Sharks are a imited resource and should be trated with care. the entire ecosystem evolves around these preditors. You are able to get great pictures without sitting on the fish.

pose like they do when they get a marlin boat side.

Just 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I've caught many decent sharks from shore and posed holding mouth open, and then released alive. I wouldnt want to kill one for a pic. Just becareful of tail whippin and get someone to take the pic fast, before it gets excited. Be ready to spring like a mongoose in case of thrashing. I would add some pics, but I dont know how to anymore.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I would add some pics, but I dont know how to anymore.
OK, if you want to submit a photo, you have to make new reply and not a quick reply. In the new reply, you have all the emoticons on the right and some at the bottom futher down your screen is more info called additional options. One is called Manage Attachments. Click it. A new box comes up on screen and it shows at the top upload file from your computer. It gives you four lines/rectangular boxes and at the end of each one is the word browse. Click a browse on the first one. This will take you into your computer documents. Go to your stored pictures and select one as usual and put it in there and press upload. It will automatically resize and put the picture on the page. Or you will need someone to sit with you with a laptop and show you how it is done. But I would suggest trying. I mean how much harm could you do to a posting on this forum with what has been going on around here lately. So experiment and practice. I used to avoid all the stuff at the top of the page that looked like hieroglyphics. Now I make use of it from time to time for clicking on them and seeing what they do. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts