Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had a dream that you thought would never really happen? Well, you never know what may be possible one day! My brother has always loved boats and being on the water. Like most of us, his desires have been limited by his financial resources. Unlike most of us, however, he has tremendous mechanicalability and was able to devise a plan to make his dream a reality. He actually built a boat to meet his needs and accomplish his mission.
He started with an abandoned custom-built aluminum "houseboat" that sunk. He gutted it completely, to a bare hull. He built the cabin, all electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems himself from parts he collected from various junkyards and salvage operations. It is powered by a Peugot diesel engine from a car he had sitting in his driveway (or should I say several cars)! The boat is beautiful in its simplicity and efficiency, while cosmetically its beautymay bein the eye of the beholder.
Well, after years of fine-tuning and extensive "sea trials" on Lake Erie he set off on September 8th on the "Great Loop of America". He started near Toledo, OH, crossed Lake Erie, to Lake Huron, to Lake Michigan and down the Illinois River, Mississippi, Ohio, Tennessee, to the Tombigbee... He plans to round the tip of Florida, up the east coast, and back to where he started.
It is now October 8th - One month into the trip- and he has logged about 2500 miles and is currently 80 miles from the Mobile Bay. Tomorrow he should hit saltwater for the first time!I will be meeting him next week in Perdido Key for his first week of actual "vacation" of the trip. We'll be exploring the local waters trying to catchsomefish.
We'll be mining the forum for valuable information to help us on our adventure. If you see "The Boat" make sure to wave and sayHi. We'll be staying at a dock onOld River while he's in town. Here's a couple pics of "The Boat" before some modifications were made for the voyage.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's a tank John and it should prove to be a good fishing platform. Half the beauty of doing it yourself is just knowing you done it yourself and what it takes to put it altogether. I bet the gratification he gets from this trip is much greater than if he were doing in something he bought.

KP

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
That is an awesome story. Something can be said for a man to put together a plan to accomplish a life long dream and actually make it happen.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
I have a friend coming down the TenTom from Minnesota right now as well. He just left Demopolis this morning and heading this way. He should be at Bobbys Fish Camp tonight. I have been following him on his face book : Joel Them.

He has had some challenges, even going overboard by mistake. It appears he is a day or two behind your brother.

·
Registered
749 Posts
John,

Heck of a "BOAT" that your brother has. And, and even bigger adventure! We would enjoy the opportunity to have a meet and greet. Billy-Bob

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have heard the "great loop" mentioned before and get the general idea from this thread, but is there a link to a map that would show the loop and maybe provide some information. I will google great loop as well and see what comes up. Thanks

·
Registered
692 Posts
I wish the best to your friend, I hope the trip is all he hopes it will be.

Lots of cruisers do the 'great loop' and have a great time of it.

One couple bought a boat and did it, and wrote a book about it. It is a good primer is anyone is interested.

"Honey, Let's Get a Boat...": A Cruising Adventure of America's Great Loop

It is a good read, and while it is not in print you can get used copies pretty cheap from Amazon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He didn't even know "the Great Loop" existed until he got on line earlier this year to start planning forthetrip he had an idea to take. He was amazed at the amount of resources available online and how popularThe Loopis. The experiences others shared online made it much easier for him to actually follow through on his "dream".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts