Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited a 1436 jon boat. It came with an old 9.5 johnson and ive spent alot of time workin on it, but it's got sentimental value, so i don't mind. It's never going to compare to some of the boat builds on here, but I figured I would post pictures of the project. The ultimate goal is to be painted black on the outside, light grey on the inside, with decks going from the front to the second bench and from the back bench to the transom. below the front deck, i'll have a hatch for a cooler and a custom flounder removal tool. Lights at the moment are going to be 5 LED's i posted on another thread, I'll be adding more as i go. I don't have a lot of money to throw in this one, but I found someone for scrap aluminum, so this will help plenty.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more progress, I don't even have access to an outdoor electrical outlet where I am, so the boat was sprayed with self etching primer, and rolled with rustoleum. It should hold up for a few years until i can get a little more established.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motor

This johnson motor is 43 years old. And has been sitting a long time. I pulled apart the gearcase and nothing but rust came out of it. It took an hour just to break the screws on it.

Attachments

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
is that off pelham, I just started a project skiff up the road. Looks good!

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
No. The flats on west side of choctawhatchee bay are good on a falling tide. Check out the boat ramp at the end of walkedge off brooks st.. Good stuff around the especially when the head for the guf this fall. They filter out of the sound and are everywhere that time of year. Only have fished Cinco bayou at night. Good underwater lights on the docks but never really caught quality fish consistently there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback everybody.. The motor is running much better now, here's some pictures. I can't find a way to secure my cover to the motor, it wont latch. Gotta figure out a good way to lock it so it wont fly off while i'm on the boat. as soon as this storm passes, I'll get back to work on the deck. Thanks for the tip on the gigging around here rick. I've only made it as far as the bridge in cinco bayou. We've stuck a few though and it's my new addiction. As soon as i get the boat done, i'll be sure to check out that launch. Forgot to say all these pictures were taken with a GoPro 2, that's why all of them have that fish eye effect, Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
You should be able to find some aftermarket latches fer the cowl...... you'll definitely be more proud of it after the build then ifin you'd a bought it out right!!! Looking like a good project so far brother!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for the positive feedback. Can't wait to get the decks on it!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like it! Good job, if you see a red tracker in that area it's me! Have not had time this year to get out and stick any but it won't be much longer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Figured I'd post up if anybody is still interested. I gotta wait till october to build the decks in order to keep the wife off me. I got the outside finished, and the inside will be painted light grey next month. I'll be repainting the motor too. Here's a few pictures, got the motor running and ran the boat a few miles to check for leaks. Motor is somehow running strong, the boat held up pretty well too. Here's some pictures. This payday i'm getting everything to make it legal.. It's been three weeks since ive been gigging and i'm starting to itch...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Lookin' Good

Looks like you have some hours in it. If the old flat head does not idle good there are some plugs that look like freeze plugs that need to be lightly tapped to rest them. This allows the motor to keep good crank case pressure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Looks like you have some hours in it. If the old flat head does not idle good there are some plugs that look like freeze plugs that need to be lightly tapped to rest them. This allows the motor to keep good crank case pressure.
Thanks for the advise. I need to go check compression now that i have a new head gasket. The cylinders were low before, but it runs a lot better now. I'll look into those plugs next time i head to west marine. I hope you still have some scrap 2x2 aluminum for me. I move in two weeks and then i'll have money for this stuff again, so I'll be givin you a call a little more prepared this time. Thanks for the tips on the way to build my deck too, it was very helpful.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts