Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What other jigs are out there other than the Shimano jigs that achieve the same affect without the price? Also, what's the best way to catch grouper with them?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. Just saw the other post about this:doh. But before I forget to ask, what about using wire leader on them if there's the chance of getting a toothy one?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
If you choose to use wire you will give up some of the hits. Snapper will not hit it with wire, and aj's also get finicky when you use it. However you will loose a few jigs to toothy critters if you don't so take your pick less hits or lost jigs. It's up to you. I don't use wire I choose to hang as many fish as I possibly can and I have only lost 1 jig all summer.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
they don't last very long either

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Deep Blue (11/18/2007)Don't know how the Shimano or Williamson lures hold up, but the jigs from Bass Pro loose their paint pretty quickly.
The paint has held up great on my Pro Shop knock-offs, but that is probably due them never having been wet!:banghead I havent had a chance to get down there to use them.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Hey NOMOSURF: send the jigs down that you haven't tried yet and I will let you know how they work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have used one made by pro fish co. and the paint has held up great. It caught lots of fish before it chipped and lots of fish after. It was my first one and I still have it. I been using 50lb mono for a leader until this last trip out. Not only did a king finally chew through the nylon but went through the leader too.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
hooked again (1/29/2008)is a king going to be able to get through 50 or 60 pound mono
Without a problem, I have lost many jigs with a 60lb mono leader. When the Kings are bitting I stop jigging.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
hooked again (1/29/2008)is a king going to be able to get through 50 or 60 pound mono
Just like cutting warm butter with a sharp, hot knife. No problem at all. This summer on one trip we lost 5 jigs in real short order to toothy critters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts