Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an alternative to West Marine in the area. Costs are going up and availablity is going down. I priced some ss cap bolts= .99 each, bought them at National Satndard for .15 ea. Tried to get a anchor light for my sailboat, only had one type in stock that would work. Looking for a new source. Thanks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I order a lot of my stuff from Overtons, I've had good luck with them. Academy has some stuff too. As for S.S. bolt get them from the hardware store.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check out Meredith & Sons Lumber in Midway, just east of the zoo for all your stainless needs. They usually have a pretty fair price, and usually have a large stock and assortment of fittings. As far as boat accessories, as stated above, Academy would surprise you on the amount of items they stock. I gave up west marine years ago, WAY overpriced for the small selection they have.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I know in the Fort Walton area Lowe's has the best most affordable stainless selection I've found. I would also check all your local boat dealers, a lot of them have supply stores inside them now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You already got the stainless figured out... there's no beating national standard parts.

As for other stuff you might buy from West Marine, I'd much rather give my money to the local operations like Kenny at Emerald Coast than any of the other places mentioned. I don't really know how the prices compare, but I know you aren't getting any steals at West.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Very good question. However, the answer is no, nobody else in the area.

You are right in that they are overpriced, but they will meet a price if you can find an alternative. On the other hand, they have the best selection over alternatives, such as WalMart, Academy, etc.

For ss fittings use them or Threaded Fasteners. Do not buy the crap they sell at Lowes; it will not last in salt water.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Also, National Standard makes customs battery cables. I had mine made there for less than half the price as it would have cost me from West. They also sell electrical wire and heat shrink connectors for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nitzey (04/05/2010)Very good question. However, the answer is no, nobody else in the area.

You are right in that they are overpriced, but they will meet a price if you can find an alternative. On the other hand, they have the best selection over alternatives, such as WalMart, Academy, etc.

For ss fittings use them or Threaded Fasteners. Do not buy the crap they sell at Lowes; it will not last in salt water.
Ahh, true... I forgot they price match (even a close out deal on the internet!). You can't beat that. Still, I'd rather give a local guy my money.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
When I restored My 15' Center Console last year, Kenny at Emerald Coast Marine really helped me out with Control cables, PerkoNavigation lights, Tachometer and several other items.....................Later when I was at West Marine, I saw the same Perko navigation lights for about 40% Higher than Kenny gave them to me for...................

If you need somthing, it is well worth the phone call to see if Ms Penny can locate it for you.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
pb&jellyfish (04/05/2010)Also, National Standard makes customs battery cables. I had mine made there for less than half the price as it would have cost me from West. They also sell electrical wire and heat shrink connectors for pretty cheap.
We also make custom battery cables,, have for years...

thanks for the kudos guys,, in this economy and with this oil slick crap shutting down the industry, us small local business need all the help we can get,,,

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another plus 1 for Kenny. They have always helped me even directing me to another source when it came down to something they could not get for me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Is there a National Standard retail outlet in P'Cola?

I walked into the one on Mobile Highway and it did not seem to be a public operation.

I am looking for long 5/16SS bolts.

Joraca

·
Registered
79 Posts
One should keep in mind that there are different grades of stainless. Some stainless is not ment to be used in marine applications. I tend to ensure that when purchasing stainless for my boat that I get it from a marine retailer or the marine section of department stores.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
What is your definition of a "Local Store"?

West Marine at 3500 Barrancas has been in business in Pensacola since September 1995.
That is almost 15 years!

What store is open seven (7) days a week every day of the year except Christmas and New Years?

West Marine matches prices with other marine related stores, just bring the ad or quote in.

Sure stainless steel fasteners are expensive, but IMHO the honor system of choosing your own items and marking the prices is not always "honorable".

West Marine is a local store with the resources available as the world's largest marine retailer and over 300 other stores. Several members of the PFF are employed there - we are local. How many businesses contribute more that $225,000 in sales taxes to Escambia County each year? Those taxes go to support local public safety, streets, schools, and other essential services

Yes, I do have an interest in West Marine. I started as a part time associate in September 1995 and am still employed there. I have taken advantage of our stock options, so consider myself as a part owner in the company. When I was partially disabled in December 2007, West Marine has kept me on the job, even though I cannot work the floor - I do contribute

We will see your next Sunday morning when you need some essential part so you can go fishing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you need to stop and go to the people that know boats, your local dealers emerald coast is good suppliers for boat parts. would you go to your plumber to get computer parts? west marine is high on prices and have little bits of knowledge on there products. Buying over the the internet is buyer beware sometimes. GO LOCAL support theguys who help you with questions and service those hard problems you just fix. If we dont they will be gone.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I did not realize that West Marine was locally Owned, I always tought they were a large national chain store that had a couple locations in our area. I have alwaysfound that their pricingis very high compaired to others like the long gone Boat US and a couple other chains and I personally concider them as a last resort that can't wait.

I have a friend that works at a "Local" Walmart in sporting goods, but I still try to use the Locally Owned Bait and Tackle shops for my needs...........My twenty bucks is not gonna Make or Break anyone in this struggeling economy, bu it's My aptempt to root for the underdog...........

EDIT: As far as price matching, Why have the "Were gonna Screw You unless you can find someone with a more reasonable pricing structure and In that case were gonna screw that person out of his sale instead" Aproach in Bussiness??? Why not try to win Customer loyalty by trying to help them ALWAYS???????????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts