Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used hotdogs to catch fish before with moderate success and just had fish biting on sausage which got me thinking is there any other stuff you wouldn't normally think of as bait and if so if I go to a resteraunt with a dock like flounders what would be good to get that if I didn't finish I could throw on a small fishing pole maybe french fries

·
Registered
429 Posts
One time on Lake Powell we over-nighted in nice cove. Next morning we made pancakes. We put some garlic powder in the batter and used it as bait, it was thick and stayed put on the hook. The catfish loved it

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Ive tied flies out of blades of grass and used them for grass carp on golf course ponds. When they mowed the grass around the ponds the carp would eat the clippings. I found that if I used conventional gear with a weighted bobber theyd spook so I had to resort to the flys and fly gear. I dont think I ever landed one though with my 4wt lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive tied flies out of blades of grass and used them for grass carp on golf course ponds. When they mowed the grass around the ponds the carp would eat the clippings. I found that if I used conventional gear with a weighted bobber theyd spook so I had to resort to the flys and fly gear. I dont think I ever landed one though with my 4wt lol.
I didn't think of making lures but now I'm thinking what about ripping up sometype of cloth and dipping it in some type of juice like if you used up all your bait and what you have left over

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I ran out of bait one time and saw some watermelon rinds on the bank. Cut a small piece, and WALLAH! Caught fish.

I've also caught fish on a small strip of cloth out of the hem on a red t-shirt.

I'll have to try the macaroni thing... I suppose it looks like a grub.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ran out of bait one time and saw some watermelon rinds on the bank. Cut a small piece, and WALLAH! Caught fish.

I've also caught fish on a small strip of cloth out of the hem on a red t-shirt.

I'll have to try the macaroni thing... I suppose it looks like a grub.

I've actually caught a ling on a piece of watermelon.

Also on the rigs offshore there are chubs and they will eat anything that hits the water..

(Sandwich, or any other food)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dry. I've caught catfish, bream, small bass, and a few other smaller freshwater fish.

I've heard that you can take a can of wet dog food and poke some holes in it, put it in the water and in a few hours it will be covered in fish. Not sure if it's legal or Not though.
The wet dog food probably just depends where u r on the beach because some parts of the beach chumming is banned

·
Bearded Brotula
14,491 Posts
I swear there was a report, a few years back, where a guy caught a black fin or something out at the floaters, with a bone from a chicken wing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I've caught bream and crappie on bubble gum, and also caught some schoolie dolphin on Vienna sausages...true story, they were fired up. Also we were feeding black tips bbq pork skins. Can't say we used them for bait but they were fired up from chum and were eating anything we threw in the water.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts