Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had never had one before.

Spearfishing last weekend we got enough red snapper so I shot one of these to try it. Maybe 18" or so.

It was stupid easy to clean. Thin skin that was easy to outline, but tough enough to slip off the filet in one pass.

I liked what I saw next. A really nice white fillet with a firm but supple texture.

Nice meat to size ratio.

It stood up to the grill like a champ, easily coming off whole with nice sear marks and good grilled flavor, with a nice buttery mouthfeel to the meat.

There were easily in the several hundreds down there.

This is now my newest "underrated fish."

Highly recommended.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Sleeve Gesture Finger Wood

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I had never had one before.

Spearfishing last weekend we got enough red snapper so I shot one of these to try it. Maybe 18" or so.

It was stupid easy to clean. Thin skin that was easy to outline, but tough enough to slip off the filet in one pass.

I liked what I saw next. A really nice white fillet with a firm but supple texture.

Nice meat to size ratio.

It stood up to the grill like a champ, easily coming off whole with nice sear marks and good grilled flavor, with a nice buttery mouthfeel to the meat.

There were easily in the several hundreds down there.

This is now my newest "underrated fish."

Highly recommended.

View attachment 1091740
Way better than a AJ

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
this censor stuff is kinda getting outta hand. some my cooking pic were deleted or either i lost them.
anyway, almaco is great on the grill. i marinate in italian dressing overnight and then try to burn it on a hot bed of hickory coals.
jack

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I only recently became aware of them from another post … The question for us hook and line guys is … how does one target them?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I only recently became aware of them from another post … The question for us hook and line guys is … how does one target them?
Boatdude has the scoop on that he post up a lot of them. I really never have targeted them but caught them on small live baits. Drifting squid strips on live bottom (drifting pretty fast) and they hit vertical jigs pretty well. Grass lines and mats almost always have small ones. Pan size lol

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
usually, it's just a by-catch. i don't think anybody targets almaco.
jack

Reactions: MrFish and SurfRidr

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
this censor stuff is kinda getting outta hand. some my cooking pic were deleted or either i lost them.
anyway, almaco is great on the grill. i marinate in italian dressing overnight and then try to burn it on a hot bed of hickory coals.
jack
I don’t cook fancy. Almaco’s usually were one of the things threw on the grill with butter onion a little lime while the refreshments and fish cleaning was going on.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,796 Posts
My favorite AJ recipe.

GINGER-HONEY AMBERJACK

See also: Amberjack Article

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

1ó pounds Florida Amberjack fillets

1 cup Florida honey

2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 red Florida bell pepper, seeded and cut (2 inch strips)

1 yellow Florida bell pepper, seeded and cut (2 inch strips)

Directions

Cut fillets into serving size pieces; set aside.

Combine honey and ginger; use half of honey to coat fish evenly.

Place on oiled grill over medium-hot coals basting frequently with honey

mixture; and turn once.

Coat bell peppers with remaining honey mixture and grill with fish until

tender, turn peppers often to avoid burning.

Fish is done when it flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 474.73, Protein: 41.49 g,

Carbohydrates: 77.32 gFat total: 1.79, Saturated fat: .46 g,

Percent calories from fat: 3%, Cholesterol: 159.89 mg

Courtesy of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Jim

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
We freeze Almaco's all the time. They turn out just fine with the vacuum sealer. My favorite fish. Yes to small / medium LY's live. I usually catch them when fishing for Mingos.

·
Weekend Warrior
258 Posts
We fried up some that was frozen from last July a few weeks ago and it was good, I was worried it would be off since It was my first time eating it frozen. Just avoid the dark meat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts