Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
RE: Alliance between charter boat captains, fishermen fraying as red snapper deadline looms

Greetiings Gunny, you are not required to pay anything if you do not fish with me. One of my points is that I carry a lot of people, many military and many more veterens. We used to carry a group of dust-off pilots from the Vietnam war. They have a roving convention and I see them about every 3 years. These folks are here for a weekend.They dont have time to buy/rent a boat... get electronics... and go find fish they go with guys like me.... anyway, I read Capt Jarvis' post regarding the charter sector/ vs. rec. .... and I have to admit, he has some valid points about historical catches and commercial fishemen in general. From what I see in "this" economy, there has been a huge dip in the number of licensed recreational fishermen. I know people who use their boats strictly to go to ft mcrea or air shows because 2 snapper are not worth 100 dollars in fuel. And they dont want to go 18 miles out to catch mingo. Everybody is different though, some dont stop till they get to the Petronius :)I believe that until we find out exactly how many people are fishing for snappers/groupers/triggers/ajs... that we will never have congruity in the fisheries. 2 more cents. Take Care

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
RE: Alliance between charter boat captains, fishermen fraying as red snapper deadline looms

Burnt Drag (11/23/2009)Greetiings Gunny, :clap you are not required to pay anything if you do not fish with me. :doh No kidding. One of my points is that I carry a lot of people, many military and many more veterens. We used to carry a group of dust-off pilots from the Vietnam war. They have a roving convention and I see them about every 3 years. These folks are here for a weekend. :clap :bowdown Do you offer a military/ veteran discount or do they pay as much as anybody else? They dont have time to buy/rent a boat... get electronics... and go find fish they go with guys like me.... I understand the charter business, Thanks, anyway, I read Capt Jarvis' post regarding the charter sector/ vs. rec. .... and I have to admit, he has some valid points about historical catches and commercial fishemen in general. From what I see in "this" economy, there has been a huge dip in the number of licensed recreational fishermen. I know people who use their boats strictly to go to ft mcrea or air shows because 2 snapper are not worth 100 dollars in fuel. And they dont want to go 18 miles out to catch mingo. Everybody is different though, some dont stop till they get to the Petronius :)I believe that until we find out exactly how many people are fishing for snappers/groupers/triggers/ajs... that we will never have congruity in the fisheries. 2 more cents. Take Care
Here is what you are missing. Those same vietnam veterans can come down here, at anytime of the year,catch and keep snappers/groupers/triggers/ajs... on a charter boat.

Whereas I, who pays additional taxes to this state for a boat, can only keep snappers/groupers/triggers/ajs... during the recreational season. The Charter customers are recreational fisherman who should have to abide by the same regs and seasonsas I do.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Nextstep said :::

"end commercial fishing of any fish that is deemed in danger of over fishing. this should be a no brainer."

NO WAY,,,, can not be that easy ! got to do a5 million dollar,3 year study on that solution.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

Went fishing in the bay Sunday to get out of the house and had to leave 2 spots due to the Red Snapper . Just info.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts