Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were out trying to gig a flounder last saturday night (choppedliver and I) when we saw this WEIRD thing "flying" in the water. It was flapping a set of "wings" and was slowly progressing through the water.

You know me..... I just had to scoop it up and take a picture. When we did, it wadded up and formed a cylindrical looking structure.

I have NEVER seen anything like it.

My suspicion is that it was some sort of a snail/slug without a shell, somehow swimming along in the bay.....

Here is the pics:

·
Registered
3,296 Posts

When we were snorkling for scallops at Cape San Blas we saw many Sea Slugs that were beautiful when they were swimming.Some were very brightley colored.I could not tell how big yours was from the pics but the ones we saw were from 6-10" long.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
snake 166 (11/19/2009)Scientifically know as a nudibranc. Locally known as a sea cunt
ding, ding, ding...we have a winner...

·
Registered
481 Posts
We used to catch alot of nudibrancs in California when we had to drag nets inshore. I sawalot of them over by the EPA lab on the island when I was mullet fishing one day

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
snake 166 (11/19/2009)Scientifically know as a nudibranc. Locally known as a sea cunt
Although the local name is kinda funny in a crude way, I can't find anything that indicates that a Nudibranch swims at all, looks more like a traditional slug slithering along reefs.The things I saw looked more like those Aliens from the Abyss movie, without the cool ride.Very gracefull and colorfull.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This thing was doing what I can only describe as "fluttering" through the water. Not very fast, not very efficient, but definitely going in one direction. Kind of looked like a butterfly.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sea Snail, Sea slug , Nudebranch, Names we'vecalled em. Seen themforever. They have ink like a squid. Can live out of water for a while. Cool critter. I've seen a diffrent 1 thats not the same thing. Has large wings& looked much stranger the the sea snail. Didnt catch it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts