Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go to Montgomery today on business, and during the course of the day while traveling I saw 9 Racked bucks.

Looks like the Rut is cranking up and will be Hot and Heavy forthe next few days.....

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
agreed, if they would let me hunt the next few days with slingshots or spears, i would be after them. seems they started this weekend and will go into this week a good bit i imagine.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Just further proof the Alabama season ends before the rut really gets going. We had 5 guys hunting this weekend and scored two bucks and one doe, none chasing or showing rut behavior. I've hunted Conecuh County for the past 6 years and this was the first time I went the whole season without a single deer, saw just one on stand over several hunts. When I closed the gate Sunday night I couldn't believe it, felt like I'd been cheated somehow. :reallycrying

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I think that it is such b.s. that the season is planned the way it is. I would rather a shorter season that went later in the year. Atleast the bucks will be around next year and hopefully the rut comes in durring season when they are bigger.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Garbo (2/1/2010)I had to go to Montgomery today on business, and during the course of the day while traveling I saw 9 Racked bucks.

Looks like the Rut is cranking up and will be Hot and Heavy forthe next few days.....

Dang!!

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
A week late and a dollar short.Alabama's DNR would disagree with all of us and tellus the rut ended state wide 2 weeks ago. I wish they were more like FL and had a short gun season around Thanksgiving and open gun season back up about mid December. Add 2 weeks of gun into Feb and/or primitive weapon. That and cut down the doe season. Have a 3 or 4 week doe season instead of the whole season. I think too man does are being killed. We use to see 5-10 deer a weekend...now we are lucky to see 1-2 a weekend...IF WE ARE VERY LUCKY we might see 3. IMO to many deer have and are being killed. To many people shoot brown its down. Go to a 3pt on one side system, cut the doe season down, and extend the season.... Oh yea...and just go ahead andlegalize baiting. Make it even for everybody. There are corn bags every where up and and down the roads. Every mom and pop shop sells it throughout the state. Just go ahead and make it legal or start enforcing the law. I feel like I'm the only person not baiting. I hate hunting over feeders like we do here in FL. Makes you a lazy hunter but it's not fair for the neighbor to be pouring it out by the truck load and I'm over there twiddling my thumbs not seeing a thing. Just my .02

·
Registered
903 Posts
The Alabama DNR is a complete joke. From their restrictions to their dates. I hunt on property that is managed very well. When they imposed their 3 buck restriction I wrote a letter to the Dept. and asked how they came up with their decision. Some guy from Tennessee called me back and said he was one of the people that did the research. Told me how they did it there and how it was in North Alabama. I asked him in Tennessee had the paper companies come in and butchered the land cutting all the hardwoods? I am not opposed to tree farming but there is a right way and a wrong way. He told me the rut was over by mid January and I may see scattered activity late in the month. I told him he needed to get out from behind his desk and come hunt with me. Then he said the goal was to make the herd a trophy herd. It takes 3 things to create a trophy buck: genetics, food (and good soil), and age. If the DNR wants to create a trophy herd then they should have started with a point rule and not say you can kill spikes. Just like dove season we at least need a north and south season. I hunt from time to time in far northwest Alabama and their rut does slow down by the end but not over. We are one of the only states that do not get to hunt the rut and post rut. I send a letter to them every year and ask them to come to my place and sit and watch in February. More people need to write the Governor and the DNR. Mississippi is considering continuing their season to the end of February. I am now off my soapbox.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts