Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alabama has a mandatory reporting program for all snapper harvested. They are way ahead of everyone else. They are collecting data and using it

All Anglers:

Must have a valid Alabama saltwater fishing license, as required, when in possession of any saltwater fish species in Alabama waters.
Harvested red snapper must be reported on one Snapper Check report per vessel trip before fish are landed in Alabama.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Truth be told, Alabama has more snapper per acre than Florida. I think they prefer that mud bottom. The trade-off is - NO GROUPER in Bama waters. OK, there's the odd one caught close to the Fla line or waaay out at the edge, but nothing to speak of on the shelf.

Reactions: hjorgan

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Truth be told, Alabama has more snapper per acre than Florida. I think they prefer that mud bottom. The trade-off is - NO GROUPER in Bama waters. OK, there's the odd one caught close to the Fla line or waaay out at the edge, but nothing to speak of on the shelf.
I have to agree, but we have habitat like no other area (except LA and MS with the oil platforms maybe)

This pic is of the spots I've collected over the years. Couldn't fish them all in 10 lifetimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Florida also has a reporting app but it is voluntary and everyone I talked to won't report on it because one of the required fields is that you put exact location where you caught the fish lon/lat. No one want to give up that information so they don't use the app. They sent me a gulf reef fish survey in Feb and it asked how many and what kind of fish I caught in October. It also had a couple of questions about the reporting app and a comment section and I told them if they took out the part about requiring location more people would use it. They have a separate app for recreational fishermen and charter boats. I think this would be a great way to get a more accurate count than they have ever done by any other method they are just going to have to make it's use mandatory. Maybe someone from AL can answer but it is my understanding over that they have to open a "trip" on the app before they go fishing. If caught with fish without an open "trip" they get a ticket. The "trip" must be closed out before they dock with the fish. Another "trip" is opened for the next time they fish. Not sure what information they ask for to close the trip but it surely includes number of fish caught and number of fishermen.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,159 Posts
What does florida have? Pic a number out of a hat?
Nothing that scientific! :whistling:

Florida and the Gulf Council both use the S.W.A.G. method of calculating fish harvest. As everyone knows, S.W.A.G. stands for "scientific wild a$$ guess".

·
Registered
36 Posts
As an out of stater, FWC didn't even send me my ARS survey last year; however, 3 out of the 5 times we have been out this year we were questioned at the boat ramp as we returned.

The type of data they are collecting at the boat ramp is laughable, but you can probably expect a better Trigger season in the future. One boat claimed they released 84 triggers, then when asked if that was their total, they said no each of us caught 84.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Florida also has a reporting app but it is voluntary and everyone I talked to won't report on it because one of the required fields is that you put exact location where you caught the fish lon/lat. No one want to give up that information so they don't use the app. They sent me a gulf reef fish survey in Feb and it asked how many and what kind of fish I caught in October. It also had a couple of questions about the reporting app and a comment section and I told them if they took out the part about requiring location more people would use it. They have a separate app for recreational fishermen and charter boats. I think this would be a great way to get a more accurate count than they have ever done by any other method they are just going to have to make it's use mandatory. Maybe someone from AL can answer but it is my understanding over that they have to open a "trip" on the app before they go fishing. If caught with fish without an open "trip" they get a ticket. The "trip" must be closed out before they dock with the fish. Another "trip" is opened for the next time they fish. Not sure what information they ask for to close the trip but it surely includes number of fish caught and number of fishermen.

The lat/lon is requested but not mandatory. FWC would like to have a general idea of location, but you do not have to provide your numbers.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,987 Posts
If they add days to Alabama, why not to Florida???
You have to remember, red snapper is only open on the weekends in Alabama, unlike Florida which is every day.
And maybe their Commercial Fishing boats are subjected to the same days as the recreational guys, again, Unlike Florida.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
"Maybe someone from AL can answer but it is my understanding over that they have to open a "trip" on the app before they go fishing. If caught with fish without an open "trip" they get a ticket. The "trip" must be closed out before they dock with the fish. Another "trip" is opened for the next time they fish. Not sure what information they ask for to close the trip but it surely includes number of fish caught and number of fishermen."

I just checked the Alabama app, and did not see where opening a trip was an option. I do think it's an excellent idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Alabama you must report the catch before removing your boat from the water. It can be done through their app or by paper slip with carbon copy at the dock and dropped in the drop box. The app will send you a confirmation email. There is no requirement to have an open trip on the app while fishing. Very simple process collecting basic info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Unless they have changed something, it is nothing like that and pretty simple to use.

"Maybe someone from AL can answer but it is my understanding over that they have to open a "trip" on the app before they go fishing. If caught with fish without an open "trip" they get a ticket. The "trip" must be closed out before they dock with the fish. Another "trip" is opened for the next time they fish. Not sure what information they ask for to close the trip but it surely includes number of fish caught and number of fishermen."

I just checked the Alabama app, and did not see where opening a trip was an option. I do think it's an excellent idea.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,722 Posts
You don't have to have an "open trip" in Alabama. They have forms at the launches or you can use the Outdoor Alabama App.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Until Florida or NOAA show that they are really interested in managing the resource instead of playing politics, all this "reporting" stuff is a bunch of hooey.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I think Mississippi requires you to open a trip prior to going. Alabama don't but they require a reef fish license along with regular license.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think Mississippi requires you to open a trip prior to going. Alabama don't but they require a reef fish license along with regular license.
Sorry, what are you talking about this reef fishing license in AL? I have always been an AL resident and have never purchased a reef fishing license in my life. Actually, I have lifetime hunt/fresh/salt in Alabama.

Are you talking about the saltwater anger registry (free)?

https://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/saltwater-recreational-licenses

I am seeing all this mis-information on this topic, but it is all readily available online. No one has to guess what those crazy Alabama people are doing:

https://research.dcnr.alabama.gov/Snapper/

·
Registered
593 Posts
With everything that has been talked about on this subject and trying to keep up with it I may have got some things mixed up. However, if what I posted isn't in effect I think it would be an excellent idea to implement it and would definitely improve the accuracy of the actual harvest data numbers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts