Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't know about recently but the Bridge rubble has had some pretty nice sized AJ's out there. Also the towers have some on them too. Just go out there with some frozen cigars. See what you catch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most of the wrecks have them right now. The deeper the bigger though. Most keepers are at100 plus feet. I went out with Steve Potate(Jackin' Jaws Charter"_a few weeks ago and caught all I cared to reel in.The best thing I can tell you to do to find keepers with some certainty is to find 120 feet of water with a high relief and steep vertical drop. Driving the boat around the area in circles seems to excite them too. Then drop that jig down and jerk the heck out of it. AJ's are kinda like country girls. They seem to be drawn to drama! If you don't find them soon, you are not jigging eratic and fast enough, or they are not there! I hope that helps! BTW, my buddy that with me, first timer, didn't catch squat because he was jigging like he was looking for freshwater bass. He watched me catch them on every drop, but just wouldn't get it in his head that he needed to put his back into it and rip the water with the lines. Just be sure not to jerk that jig out of the water when you are jiggin like that. I saw a guy nearly knock himself stupid one day!!! Again, I hope that helps.

·
eating tasty
3,874 Posts
A large live bait usually will catch the bigger jacks if you are jigging and keep catching lots of shorties. This is not always the case, but put a big live one down about 20 ft. up off the wreck and if AJs are there, you will get smashed, guaranteed. Use a long mono or flouro leader, egg sinker above leader, and 5/0 circle hook through your live bait of choice. White snapper (porgies), Hardtails, or Sand Perch are top choices. Bigger bait = bigger AJ.

·
eating tasty
3,874 Posts
Agreed, deeper water also will produce bigger fish. Try the Oriskany, or Avocet or Antares, they are all (barely) in your range from pcola pass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts