Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot more fishing for AJ/Grouper and i have noticed that we get a lot of line tangle around the egg weight. I was wondering if any of you crimp the egg below the swivel on the leader line to avoid this.

Hook/Leader/Crimp/Bead/Egg/Bead/Swivel

Thought it might help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Generally the twist is caused by your bait spinning as you let it down. Try hooking baits so they don't spin through the lips or letting it down slower. If that doesn't help you may want to try using a three way swivel and a dropper lead. Much less involved than the crimping the lead below the swivel.imo.

·
Registered
557 Posts
As Mullit said, make sure to hook your baits through the lips, otherwise they will helicopter on the way down and create a mess. Same thing with a large dead bait like a Bonita slab. Hook it in one end, not in the middle so it is more streamline. Good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
The baits spinning with cause tangles but letting the weight roll around on the bottom will cause tangles too. Keep the line tight and slow the weight down before it hits the bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.