1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,721 Posts
I saw that on the news this morning. When they said he 'fell" out of the plane, the 1st thing that came in my mind was, he was probably pushed out. Let's hope that's not the case. I know his chances are very slim, but I pray they find him alive and okay.

·
Registered
275 Posts
They jump into the sound right behind my house. I'm guessing the jumpmaster stepped too far out on the ramp as it circled over the Gulf and the slipstream got him. The reports are that his chute opened and he was last seen, treading water.

It is a damn shame how many good people are lost in training. I had 4 friends killed in the Army, training. Prayers sent.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
what I heard was that he got pulled out by the chute. unfortunate chain of events that happened. 8 miles south in the gulf. Like said before, pray for his family. Accidents happen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here's some updated info from this evening;
"From the 24th SOW, part of the Hurlburt-headquartered Air Force Special Operations Command, the airman — who has not yet been identified — “departed a C-130 aircraft making an unintentional water landing at approximately 11 a.m., November 5, 2019, over the Gulf of Mexico, south of Hurlburt Field, during a planned static-line jump as part of a training event.”
Also, the info below is new:
- "Initially, when the exact location of the incident was unclear, Hurlburt Field contacted the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office. A printed record of the call, while truncated, presents a picture of ongoing confusion about the status of the airman."
- "The initial call to the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office was placed at 11:19 a.m. by a Special Tactics airman, to report that the jumper was in the water a little more than two miles from Hurlburt Field, that the C-130 had visual contact with him, and, two minutes later, that he was treading water."
- "Over the next 20 minutes, the Coast Guard was dispatched to the location and sent two 45-foot rescue boats. The C-130 continued to circle over the area, joined later by a CV-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft and two helicopters from Hurlburt Field, one with rescue swimmers aboard."
- "Throughout the incident, according to the call record, people on the scene alternately reported seeing the airman, and then not seeing him. At 11:42 a.m., the airman’s head was reported to be above water, but two minutes later, the call report indicates that the airman was no longer being seen. Alternating reports continued, according to the call record, until shortly before 1 p.m., when Hurlburt Field reported that whichever of its aircraft was then looking for the airman “no longer has eyes on the swimmer.”
- "It’s unclear exactly where the airman was at the last reported sighting said Coast Guard Station Destin Petty Officer Kamil Zdankowski."

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Said, but unless you can shed your gear, it will drag you under. That and Navarre pier says the water temp had dropped to 67°. 10 days ago the water was still 80°+.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Sadness for sure. Whenever they do water jumps, there are safety boats out to collect the troops. I'm sure the guys had a PFD but expect the investigation will make a recommendation to buy ePirbs or something similar.

·
Super Moderator
29,890 Posts
News said folks saw the chute open and saw him treading water, then turned around and he was gone? Kinda weird but the news really irks me on the way they report crap anyways....

Anyone else had nails across the chalkboard when WEAR gal said Air MAN not airman, AIR MAN like 4 or 5 times!!!!!

Prayers for those involved!!!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Anyone else had nails across the chalkboard when WEAR gal said Air MAN not airman, AIR MAN like 4 or 5 times!!!!!
the blonde one with the hammerhead messes up about two-thirds of what she says. Air Man...…..she knows nothing in her AIR HEAD!
Prayers to all involved and the family of this airman.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts