Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get an air rifle for my son to have something that he can practice with. I'd like to stay under or around $100 and have narrowed it down to two rifles. The Benjamin Prowler http://www.basspro.com/Benjamin-Prow...SSSELL_PRODUCT that's supposed to be really quiet due to a different piston design and the Ruger Blackhawk http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ruger-Blac...Scope/27678724

Both guns shoot 1200ft/sec shooting alloy pellets and are break barrels and both have adjustable triggers and 4x32 scopes. I can't find any head to head comparisons with these guns. Anyone have any experience with either. Any other suggestions?

·
Bearded Brotula
11,604 Posts
I haven't had a Benjamin in years, but I just bought a Ruger .22 air rifle. It's accurate and the thump from the impact is louder than the air rifle.

·
Registered
818 Posts
For practice, I think I would look more for economy and accuracy than muzzle velocity.

Olympic air rifles, which will shoot through the same hole at 10 meters, have a muzzle velocity of about 590 ft/sec.

Their .177 pellets are easily contained in a trap for shooting indoors.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want him to be able to practice out to 75-80 yards without having to hold a foot over something. We hunt on a lease with some pretty long shots and he needs practice hitting something far away. 10 meters just doesn't cut it.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you're gonna get 75-80 yards out of a $100 pellet gun. Besides, distance doesn't really matter. If he can hit at 25 yards he can hit at 100 yards if the rifle is zero'd.
Odd thing Spooney, he can keep a group inside a quarter at 30 yards, but panics at a deer TARGET at 75. At 1000ft/sec is it not going to shoot like a 22lr?

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
I think a.177 cal pellet would lose too much energy after 40-50 yards. Even though it screams out of the barrel, it quickly loses velocity. I may be wrong, though.

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
My Benjamin holds better groups at 40-50 yrds than my sons Gammos do. After 50yrds, it drops considerably. 22 would be a beter gun for 75yrds. But just my.02

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I bought a .177 Ruger Blackhawk (reconditioned) from airgundepot.com. for $59. It shoots good up to 50 yards. If your son is young, he might have trouble cocking it.
It is a real nice gun!

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a big box a few months ago and expected to start showing up again, but I think people are still hording here. Shot through 500 pretty fast and haven't seen them since.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I would not practice at 75 yds. Practice at 15-20 yards until he is holding tight groups. You can zero a scope at any range as long as the bullet will travel. Have him shoot in all 4 basic positions and if you want him to shoot in Hunting situations do a lot of off hand and kneeling positions. If you want him to learn how to use shooting sticks learn with those. Airgundepot.com is a good place to look I have 2-3 recon air rifles.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
My daughter is the same way. She can kill any inanimate object but any deer (buck, doe) rattles her. Deer fever gets the best of her. Heck I still get a thumping heart when I line up on one. If that ever stops I'll stop hunting.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'm going to go with the Benjamin. After watching several videos and reading reviews and article, I think that Nitro piston is the bees knees. The felt recoil of the spring is eliminated as is the sound and vibration of the piston spring. Supposed to be 70% quieter than the spring piston with very little bounce of them.

I'm not worried much about weight because we hunt in a lease and he will always have a rest to shoot off of from our box blinds.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I think I'm going to go with the Benjamin. After watching several videos and reading reviews and article, I think that Nitro piston is the bees knees. The felt recoil of the spring is eliminated as is the sound and vibration of the piston spring. Supposed to be 70% quieter than the spring piston with very little bounce of them.

I'm not worried much about weight because we hunt in a lease and he will always have a rest to shoot off of from our box blinds.
I thought you were just buying this for him to target practice and to help him become accustomed to guns for when he picks up something bigger for deer.
What are you planning on letting him shoot with a pellet gun ? Nothing bigger than squirrels I hope.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts