Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17 and am in the process of joining the air force. I definitely am going into special operations and I'm deciding on 3 jobs.. pararescue, survival-evasion-resistance-and escape (SERE), and tactical air control party apprentice (TACP). My uncle just got out of TACP and is convincing me to join them. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these other two jobs (benifits ect..). I recently took a practice asvab at the recruiters office and scored a 62. I'm planning on taking the real asvab soon. Thanks:D

Registered
You need to get your uncle's honest opinion on whether he thinks you can make it as PJ, SERE, or TACP. If you can pass the physical part, then comes the mental part. Best of Luck in your ventures and thank you in advance for your upcoming service to this great country.

Registered
With the employment environment we're in now. you best worry about getting in and take any job you can get. Once you're in basic, the spec ops guys will come around and you'll have your shot. As KB said, you will need to be prepared both mentaly and physically. I would put extra emphasis on the physical part for tryouts. Just remember, if you make it, you're going to be gone a lot and OPSEC is going to keep you from being able to tell anyone where you are or were, much less what you were doing there... Also, forget everything you ever thought you knew about a standard work week. Much luck to you with your dream.:thumbsup:

Registered
My buddy's son just failed out of TACP school at Hurlburt. He was physically fit and did very well through the course. They are very strict on small details and rightly so. Due to the nature of the job you need to make sure you strictly follow the rules. What seems like a small issue to the normal person is a pass or fail in TACP school. It is a very rewarding job and as mentioned before you will be gone to a lot of far away places and do unique tasks. The washout rate is high in these jobs but if you put your mind to it and follow the rules and make sure your physically fit you will do well. Mind and body need to be in top notch shape. Very good jobs, good luck and whatever job you end up with you should be proud for serving.

Registered
I'm 17 and am in the process of joining the air force. I definitely am going into special operations and I'm deciding on 3 jobs.. pararescue, survival-evasion-resistance-and escape (SERE), and tactical air control party apprentice (TACP). My uncle just got out of TACP and is convincing me to join them. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these other two jobs (benifits ect..). I recently took a practice asvab at the recruiters office and scored a 62. I'm planning on taking the real asvab soon. Thanks:D
worry about getting in first...as said before once you get in then you can drop your special operations packets...do you have any ideas on what jobs you want to do other than special operations?

Registered
Does this mean you'll finally have some gas money??

Just kidding. Best of luck on whatever you decide on. You'll have your work cut out for you.

Freshwater Flounder
Have you explored ROTC? If you can manage to cop an ROTC scholarship, I'd recommend doing that first. (Just my 2 cents)

Registered
Hot shot (salt-life), I sincerely wish you the best in service to our country. My hope is you rock em' and can earn/fill a spec-op job if that's what you desire. Remember it is service to the country and not just a job. If you stay focused in that or a similar frame of mind you will do great.

I made a suggestion last evening regarding the First Shirt... ahhh, ya... don't do that. lol :D

Again, good luck and Aim High. :whistling::D

Registered
See how you do with your PAST test. If you can pass everything one after another COMFORTABLY then you can start looking at spec ops. I know a lot of guys barely squeaking past right now just to get the contract but if you struggle to pass those baselines then you might look at something else. Your recruiter is going to tell you that you can do it etc but unless you really know you want it and are honest and realistic with yourself about the training then maybe look at a more basic job. Its better than getting stuck with whatever open slot they have if you wash out. TACP and EOD I believe are the only 2 that you dont have to do the swim on the PAST. Im leaving for lackland 12 Nov under an ATC contract. I think somewhere down the road I might look at CCT but for now I want to get in with a legitimate job. feel free to PM me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice everyone. It helped a lot. I graduate next June so I want to be prepared and set on a job when I get out. My uncle who just got out of TACP is going to start helping me workout. JoshH and can't get enuf, I'll be sure to message y'all if I have any questions. Thanks again

Green Eggs And Ham
Hot shot (salt-life), I sincerely wish you the best in service to our country. My hope is you rock em' and can earn/fill a spec-op job if that's what you desire. Remember it is service to the country and not just a job. If you stay focused in that or a similar frame of mind you will do great.

I made a suggestion last evening regarding the First Shirt... ahhh, ya... don't do that. lol :D

Again, good luck and Aim High. :whistling::D

A Big +1!!! Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

Registered
I am not trying to talk you out of your dream job. Only to say that while those positions are awesome- don't count out jobs that you can also transition easily into the civilian world. Medical, dental, law, etc can also be excellent fields. I know those fields you listed are pretty tough and have highly trained/motivated members. Perhaps 15 years down the road you won't be married with kids and be bothered with things like what would they do if something happened to you that leaves them alone. Something to think about. All I'm saying is don't limit yourself. If you have any questions let me know, spent 21years in the Air Force and don't have all the answers but can answer what I can.

Registered
+1 to what Gator-1 said...while TACP and the others are glamorous, you HAVE to set yourself up for life AFTER the military...PJ's are Paramedics on the outside and do quite well IF they choose to stay in that field...As a 22 year retired Boom Operator, I can tell you that 200+ days on the road gets OLD...especially when you throw in a family...as a young man and single, it's going to be a fun ride...but you WILL be gone ALLOT...as a TACP, you WILL NOT be based here until allot later down the road...you WILL be embeded with the Army (At Army Posts) AND in the field...ALLOT...Someone above posed that if you can get an ROTC scholarship, to do that...I HIGHLY recommend that option...contrary to what a recruiter will tell you, it is MUCH MORE difficult to become an officer once in the enlisted corp...the USAF is THE WORST about that as well, as less than 10% of the officers come from the enlisted ranks...PM me should you have any questions...more than happy to talk...

Registered
Cct

CCT all the way
TACP is second choice (not all TACP are spec ops, expect working with big ARMY then working your way up to work with rangers and SF)

PJ is a great approach (have a lot of buddies that are Js)

If you like I could arrange a day at Hurlburt to see what each does

I am a Combat Controller

If interested let me know

Joe

Registered
Don't listen to the nay sayers. If you want to do it, then train your ass off and go for it. There are plenty that have came before you and moved on in life to bigger and better opportunities after their fun. Plus you get the GI Bill that you can use after your time in.

Only thing I'd recommend is looking at the other branches and their "jobs". You never know, might just find something you like better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts