Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here's a problem i'm having with some of my friends. some of them say deer meat is just as good if you eat it the next day or 3-4wks later. i totally disagree. in my experience, the meat is better aged for at least 3wks. at 40 or below but not 32. today, i ground 1lb of deer with .5lb fatty beef (67-33). ima let it chill for an hour and then cook a sample and freeze the rest.
my plan is to do the same thing next sat. with the deer that i have aging. what do y'all think?
jack

· Registered
8,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deja,
i do almost the same thing. when i'm processing, i put the meat in a cooler of ice water to soak until i quarter it out. i then let it drain for a bit and then hang in my fridge for 3-4 weeks.
jack

· Registered
2,206 Posts
Used to hunt a place that had a walk-in cooler. I always kept my deer in there 7-10 days. Meat was fabulous. Quit hunting there and was wondering why all my meat was so tough and different tasting…dawned on me that the cooler made the difference. I now age deer in a cooler with no plug keep ice on it but never let it sit in water. Seems to do the same as the walk in.

· Bearded Brotula
17,292 Posts
The guys that have the room will let them hang 7 days or more. I've let them hang for a few days. Aged deer is better than fresh.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Aging meat lets enzymes break down protein which tenderizes the meat. Simple stuff. But.......that slows way down below 32' and bacteria rules above 40'.

I used to hunt with a pathologist. He said keep it under 40 and 48 hours is all that's needed so that is what I've done when possible.

On the other hand. some of the best deer meat i ever had was when a guy shot a 80 pound spike. He took it home that evening and froze the rear hams solid. Then he sliced the hams like bone in hams the next morning before he came back to hunt camp. We ate it BBQ'd over charcoal the next evening at camp. Great taste!

· Registered
15,113 Posts
Hanging in a walk in cooler for at least 2 weeks with the hide still on is what I do now. Makes 100 percent difference.
This. Not even a question in my mind. Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn’t hung one for 2 weeks. I think reducing the moisture content is much of what makes it better. Also, when you can tear the meat apart with your hands….you know it’s had some serious tenderizing.

· Registered
3,596 Posts
This method isn't practical for hams and what knot but I started wet aging my backstraps a few years ago and haven't looked back. I clean them up when I get home then vacuum seal them and throw them in the fridge. I let them sit in there for usually 20-30 days then use them or throw them in the freezer. There's no oxygen in the bag so it doesn't allow the meat to spoil but lets the enzymes start to break down the toughness of the meat. You'll be hard pressed to get a more tender backstrap.

· Registered
8,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
quartered on 1.17.23. aging at 38 degrees. second day of experiment on 1. 24.23.
properly hung and aging really good. the meat smells similar to beef.
jack
Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Natural material

· Registered
8,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what can i say. it is what it is.
jack

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Used to hunt a place that had a walk-in cooler. I always kept my deer in there 7-10 days. Meat was fabulous. Quit hunting there and was wondering why all my meat was so tough and different tasting…dawned on me that the cooler made the difference. I now age deer in a cooler with no plug keep ice on it but never let it sit in water. Seems to do the same as the walk in.
Exactly this. 7-10 days seems to be magic number for us.

Reactions: jack2

· US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,556 Posts
I always kept the meat in the same huge cooler i brought it home in with ice and drained the ice every day for a week adding more. then de boned , packaged and frozen . less blood that way
I do the same, keep it on ice for 7 to 10 days. But I remove the drain plug so it'll drain continuously.
I dig a 3' hole with posthole diggers, prop the cooler so it'll drain into the hole.
It'll smell something awful after awhile if you just let it drain in the yard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts