Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been away from fishing since I left home a dozen years ago and now I am back and just starting to wet a line again. Growing up in P'cola I always used a steel leader when out there chasing the toothy ones but now I am hearing about fluorocarbon. I mostly fish in the bay and surf, should I stick with old faithful steel or is there something better?

Also I would like to say the fishing is much better than it used to be. I left here when the net ban first went into effect and I think the fishing is a thousand times better now. Let's keep up the responsible fishing so it stays this way. :clap

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Yes stick with steel leader. Fluorocarbon won't work in that situation. Oh yes welcome home.

·
Banned
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I appreciate it. VERY happy to be back where I belong.

Yea steel is what I was thinking but I am always looking for an edge.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
For toothy fish wire leader is good, but only if you are specifically targetting them.Flourocarbon is not worth the money for most appplications IMO. It has its uses though. If you feel like spending all the extra money it can't hurt

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If your talking about fish with teeth then steel leaders or if you think they are leader shy just try some heavy mono. I use floro for fish without teeth, but then I fish with people who don't use it and they catch just as many fish - go figure...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use20lb fluoro a lot, 50lb if I'm fishing for kings,wire if I want shark (although I've pulled in plenty of small sharks on the 20lb), and rarely break off...I find the main advantage with fluoro or mono is that its easier to cut, retie, and dispose of than wire. Some people say it catches more fish but who knows. Long story short if you want to catch the most fish be prepared to use either.

And I strongly agree on the responsible fishing!

Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts