Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called BP earlier this week and got a call back from an adjuster last night. The adjuster was actually very friendly and helpful. However, she wasn't very thorough with what she asked for. I'm hoping some of you charter captains have a good idea of what they are looking for. My company is a booking service for charter boats from Pensacola to Panama City and we have taken a huge hit since this spill happened. Here are my questions...

1) Does BP plan on paying for our current and monthly expenses and lost profits or are they just looking to reimburse us for forecasted loss of revenue based on 2009?
2) Will the employees have to file a seperate claim, or do we pay them from the company compensation.
3) What type of data should we be collecting when filing our claim? What does BP really want to see?

I would just ask the adjuster these questions, but I've been unsuccssful all day trying to get back in touch with them.

-greg

·
Registered
396 Posts
I started a claim with BP on Sunday and have not heard from the adjuster yet, I would like to know what to expect so if anyone has spoken with an adjuster, please post some details. Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do not know what BP plans to pay for or about employees filing separate claims. However, if your claim to BP is for businessinterruption, then you will need your business records for at least the last 3 years to establish your prior income compared to the post oil spill income. Since there are so many unknowns at this point, be careful with what you accept from BP without consulting with a lawyer. There is no way to know at this point whether you income will be down for 6 months or 6 years. Please PM me if you want some more information.

·
Praedator
10,201 Posts
Yes, be carefull what you agree to with BP and thier payments. I read and heard the other day that most of the time, you will be signing something to the affect saying that you will waive your right to sue them or try to collect more money in the futre.

·
Registered
687 Posts
They want your tax records from the last 2 years, or in my case last year since I worked on a similar boat but not the same boat and will make more on the current boat, then they want you to add as many special notations like "I made all my money in these months" as possible...Then they try to calculate to what you would have made for say "May"... and base it off of that

Another thing, if you claim and get paid, then you get hired on the Vessel of Oppurtunity program you may actually have to pay that loan back, or if its less than you would have made they may pay you more....

Good luck with that lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
The prior post are correct in that when companies pay for losses or settle a claim they do generally require you to sign a document called a release. What this document does (in general terms) is allows you to be paid what the company is going to pay you and requires you to release any and all other claims you may have against the company. The danger with doing this is that you may have damages that you do not know about (because you didn't consult an attorney) or you may have other damages that arise in the future that you could not predict. Everyone can make their own decision, but any quick or early settlement should be viewed with caution and you should read everything you sign carefully. Don't give up something you may be entitled to.

As for the BP "loan" and program someone mentioned, that does not sound like a very good deal for those damaged by the spill.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Pelagic Tigress (08/05/2010)The prior post are correct in that when companies pay for losses or settle a claim they do generally require you to sign a document called a release. What this document does (in general terms) is allows you to be paid what the company is going to pay you and requires you to release any and all other claims you may have against the company. The danger with doing this is that you may have damages that you do not know about (because you didn't consult an attorney) or you may have other damages that arise in the future that you could not predict. Everyone can make their own decision, but any quick or early settlement should be viewed with caution and you should read everything you sign carefully. Don't give up something you may be entitled to.

As for the BP "loan" and program someone mentioned, that does not sound like a very good deal for those damaged by the spill.
The loan thing I am talking about is what the BP adjuster told a buddy of mine, and then later confirmed by me when they called about my claim...claim=loan if you get hired in VOP program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts