Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm headed to my buddy's place outside of Andalusia this weekend, and the deer just have us stumped. We will be hunting food plots in the afternoon, and they come to them just fine, but we can never seem to figure out where they go when they move in the mornings. I have crudely painted the food plots green and ponds blue, and outlined the property line. Just about the only set of hardwoods are in a drawl on the SE side of the property, so bottom left hand if you're looking at the diagram. The corner that borders two roads. I'm pretty positive they come from both agricultural fields on the corners of that road and funnel through the drawl, but I'm not sure. Other than that any suggestions on where to hunt in the mornings? The property line on the North(right) side of the image has a trail running all the way along it.

Jonathan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You can solve a lot of your questions with sewing thread. Put the thread across the trails you know about and pretty soon you will get the picture of which way your deer are traveling. On my land, they tend to go in a one way circle 90% of the time...

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
You can solve a lot of your questions with sewing thread. Put the thread across the trails you know about and pretty soon you will get the picture of which way your deer are traveling. On my land, they tend to go in a one way circle 90% of the time...
Huh? You talking about marking the trails on the map with thread or actually stretching it across the trail in the woods?? How often would you check that and how can you be sure it wasn't a coon or fox??

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Hunt around the Ponds. Looks like the only water sources around unless there is a creek bottom not seen in the photo. They have to have water just like anything else. It might be too late to scout, but look for sign leading to and away from the ponds.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
may be using it as a travel route and not staying on the property during the day and coming into it to feed in the afternoon/night

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ok cool. I live in brantley. We work all around there during the day. Good luck to y'all and maybe you can get you a big one.

·
PFF Official Referee
5,244 Posts
We did it in Utah a lot for elk... Poor mans trail camera. Tie it across the trail high enough so that only a bucks antlers can break it. Follow the broken thread to the bed. Pain in the ass but it works.

·
Super Moderator
28,142 Posts
Mostly north winds so in between the big woods and the ponds....

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Mostly north winds so in between the big woods and the ponds....
Do you mean on the edge of the woods on the South side of the property?

So far I have hunt the ponds, and hunt between the food plots. Any more ideas or recommendations?

I will say that we have only seen deer come to water at night.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
When: Year round, but especially prior to the rut

Where: Any deer trail will work, some are much better than others and I'm keeping that info close hold.

Why: To determine direction of travel; cameras tell you what time they come and with video you can sometimes get the direction of travel, but my experience has been most times not. the thread will dangle in the direction of travel.

How: I use earth tones and stretch the line taunt waist high and tie off. I've used every color they make though and have always had good results.

I'm leaving quite a bit out, but I've provided enough information to make most of you dangerous. I don't hunt over bait and take my deer fair chase with bow and rifle.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking that these areas are where we will start this weekend in the mornings. If you have a different suggestion, download the image and then use "paint" on your computer to draw an "x" on where you think we should set up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,142 Posts
I'm thinking that these areas are where we will start this weekend in the mornings. If you have a different suggestion, download the image and then use "paint" on your computer to draw an "x" on where you think we should set up.

Your x's look good, different looking at a pic then the property seeing how it changes in a year.... but I put white boxes where I would like to set up (also depends on bow/gun)....:thumbsup: Also good to have a plan b.c.d.e when the wind changes or folks hunt w/ ya!
bryant%20property%20diagram.jpg

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your x's look good, different looking at a pic then the property seeing how it changes in a year.... but I put white boxes where I would like to set up (also depends on bow/gun)....:thumbsup: Also good to have a plan b.c.d.e when the wind changes or folks hunt w/ ya!
View attachment 158114
Are those white boxes on the food plots? If so we have stands on the plots already. If not, I wouldn't mind hunting the woods outside of them.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
To many food sources on one property is the first problem. I know you said it was your buddies but next year tell him to plant the one on the north and one on the south end (or it might be east and west I can't tell). A good rule of thumb is one green field for every hundred acres.

·
Super Moderator
28,142 Posts
Since there are stands on plots scratch them but during bow season, I'd hate to hunt big plots unless you have a definite traffic pattern on the deer. I'd look fer the staging areas between bed/food&water areas....alot will depend on your bordering neighbors hunting/management (or lacxk of) also....

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Good scouting would help more then just looking at the pics. You can still scout as long as you do it fairly quiet. Look for trails leading to where you see them in the afternoons. If you can see tracks then you can tell which way they come from. You can back track these trails to the bedding areas. I got a feeling the bedding area is not on your hunting property.

Look for the trails and you can figure out their route. If it was me, I would go out there mid day and do some scouting for trails and sign.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts