Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean the canine type. I have 4 shelties and would like to take one of them along for company, but leary about having him onboard when casting a lot. Have you taken your pet dog and if so what kind of problems if any do you run into?

Jim

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've taken a lab one time and a blue healer another. They were both fine. Seemed to be happy to be out. Both of them love riding in the boat too, but they didn't get in the way or anything. Theres several people here that take their dogs everytime they go!

Just dont hook em!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
ive taken my dog once..didnt mind riding but once we stopped and started to fish he barked at every cast..may have been my dog but the only time he goes now is when we are just goin riding or swimmin

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
We take our dog Booger fishing with us every time we go out (except in the summer when it's just TOO freaking hot for him). The first few times he ever went he got sick, but he's got his sea legs now for sure. He can sense when we are going fishing, so he runs around the house and begs to go every time. He does not get in the way of casting. He does get in the way when we reel fish in because he wants to see what it is and get it himself. lol.We push him out of the way, but otherwise he is noproblem at all. :)Make sure you carry a bottle or two of clean, cold water and a pail for the dogs to drink out of too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Took my lab one time a few years ago. She's about as smart as a box of rocks. Well I quit paying attention for about two seconds and right then she decided that my mirrolure was a chew toy and went for it. Ended up with a treble down in her nostril and we made a trip to the er vet since it was sunday morning. She had to be put under anesthesia so that they could get the hook out of her nose. $$$$$:doh

From then on no dogs when fishing. Just another thing to worry about.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Saw an X-ray of a guys dog that swallowed a "liver" hook they have to lrg side hooks and a lrg top hook. The vet about freaked out but they got it out and the dog now stays away from liver. lol

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I take mine sometimes but I have to remember to keep the lid on the live shrimp bucket.

Or else they will be all gone in half an hour.

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
my dog goes with me most of the time, he doesn't, make as much noise,doesn't have to go to the bathroom, wont talk too much,or use my tackle. He is more enthusiastic, and sees fish better than most fishermen. As long as i bring his treats!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
My ex-neighbor's yellow lab Zack is a great boat dog. He is so mellow we call him "Pro-Zack". Keep trying to teach him to pick up the mullet and drop 'em in the fish box!

One day though, Tom was a little too focused on fishing. I told him Zack was getting fidgity.....about 5 minutes later he lets loose with the "hershy squirts"! Good thing his boat is self bailing! Several buckets of water set out a pretty good chum line! :doh

We had a pretty good laugh.....just glad it wasn't my boat! :moon

Now Tom is better about letting him out every couple hours for a little pit stop! Nothin' like learning the hard way! HAHA!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Flounderpounder (12/31/2007)My ex-neighbor's yellow lab Zack is a great boat dog. He is so mellow we call him "Pro-Zack". Keep trying to teach him to pick up the mullet and drop 'em in the fish box!

One day though, Tom was a little too focused on fishing. I told him Zack was getting fidgity.....about 5 minutes later he lets loose with the "hershy squirts"! Good thing his boat is self bailing! Several buckets of water set out a pretty good chum line! :doh

We had a pretty good laugh.....just glad it wasn't my boat! :moon

Now Tom is better about letting him out every couple hours for a little pit stop! Nothin' like learning the hard way! HAHA!
LMFAO !!! Now that was my laugh for the day.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I used to have a yellow lab and I took her with me bass fishing at my fishing buddy's request. I finally agreed but she drove us nuts! She kept jumping in trying to retrieve the stumps!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I did take flash fishing, he did get a sabaki in the nose, never said a word, but not too bad. The last time he went he took a dump on my anchor rope, we stayed out too long , but it was a pain to clean up:boo

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, I will heed most of your advice. I proabably will let them stay at home and not get used to going. I would hate for them to get hooked and I always keep 2 or 3 rods ready for different types of action.

Jim

·
Registered
418 Posts
One of the best, non-techno, freshwater fishfinders I have ever owned is my 13 yr old Schnauzer named Maxie. Come spring time and I'm looking for bream on bed, she can sniff them out.

Now if I can only teach her to sniff out salt water fish I'll sell my Lowrance.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My rottie Mason has been fishing with me since he was 4 months old. He loves going on the boat and from shore. The only time I realy like to leave him is when I'm wading, he will follow me alll the way in and bob up & down because apparently he can't swim well or tread well. He has almost drown and have to be carried back to more shallow water, talk about loyal :banghead. As someone warned above watch out for baits on hooks, my dog ended up in the vet because he swallowed a shrimp on a hook, luckily he crapped it out and didn't need surgery. Dogs make great fishing partners, they make doggie vests in case your worried about your dog drowning. Good luck ~L

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,970 Posts
I've seen labs jump out and have to be drug back in the boat, no swim platform. Now you got a big WET dog standing next to you.......:hoppingmad

4,058 Posts
AUBuilder (12/30/2007)Took my lab one time a few years ago. She's about as smart as a box of rocks. Well I quit paying attention for about two seconds and right then she decided that my mirrolure was a chew toy and went for it.

that's hysterical. the charter boat "undertaker" out of orange beach marina, capt bryan watts takes his yellow lab "honey" out on almost every day trip they go on. she climbs up the ladder to the bridge and then barks as the fish come over the rail. sweet dog

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Archie used to love the water:reallycrying

1 - 20 of 22 Posts