Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Advice on catching bull reds?

4K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  SKIFFY 
#1 ·
After hearing everyone talk about the Fall bull red run, I finally broke down and bought a Penn 850SSm/Slammer combo with25# test, #5 circle hooks and steel leader.I have fished local inshore waters alot for specks and slot reds and surf fished for pompano, but have never ventured after the big reds. I would appreciate any and all advice that will allow me and a few friendsto enjoy a successful trip out. (I've heard P'cola Pass is the place to be?) Time of day, tides, bait, anchoring or drifting, location in pass, etc...?

Thanks in advance to all...

#2 ·
first drop the steel leaders and go with flourocarbon. I'm not sure about pcola pass but I prefer the high outgoing tide in Destin, However I have caught quite a few on high incoming tide also just remember it's better when the water is moving pretty well.

#10 ·
Ive been out at the pass the last 3-4 days cant find the bulls yet. But trolling for them is toooooo boreing, but a good way to locate them.For the last 25 years, most people have been anchoring up on the Ft. Pickens sand bar useing a 1/2 of a menhaden on the bottom. I prefer to drift over thebars with either a live bait or a sinking fly line.

#13 ·
There are reds in Perdido Pass right now. Went last night just before High tide and landed two 28"+ (pics to follow) within a few minutes of each other.Myself and me brother in law each got one bull to keep and then the tide started moving out. They hit live shrimp.

With all the talk of the Red Tide, how safe is it to eat these???

#16 ·
I ve caught plenty of bull reds while shark fishing the surf, I use a 6 ft steel leader(250lb test) with a 14/0 circle, and half of mullet. Reds dont seem to mind big leader at all. (4oz egg wt) And if you hook a shark, you will be ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.