Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my family in town and they are predicting flat seas tomorrow, literally less than 1ft. So we are going out of Destin pass first thing in the morning. Im pretty new to the area and have a few questions. Is there anything worthwhile trolling for with some stretch 25/30's? I would like to catch a Bonita for some bait, are they still around? I was going to target some bottom fishing anywhere from 80'-150', are there any fish holding in this shallow of water?

Basically I need someone to tell me if im totally off the mark due to the time of year, or will i catch a few fish mainly to let my brothers have a great time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Choctaw Mike (3/18/2010)I have my family in town and they are predicting flat seas tomorrow, literally less than 1ft. So we are going out of Destin pass first thing in the morning. Im pretty new to the area and have a few questions. Is there anything worthwhile trolling for with some stretch 25/30's? I would like to catch a Bonita for some bait, are they still around? I was going to target some bottom fishing anywhere from 80'-150', are there any fish holding in this shallow of water?

Basically I need someone to tell me if im totally off the mark due to the time of year, or will i catch a few fish mainly to let my brothers have a great time.
Yeah, there are definitely still bonita around, and you could probably get a few trolling stretches. We caught a lot of them last trip while on a bottom spot as we were bringing vertical jigs to the surface....and yeah, you'll end up playing catch and release with the red snapper when bottom fishing on spots in the 80'-150' depth range, but you could also pickup some mingos, almacos, and triggers...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Jig on every spot that marks high to mid level fish. Also, do not just use sow rigs, always drop at least two chicken rigs on every spot you stop on to catch BB's, whities, and triggers. It never hurts to rig a large BB or ****** and send him down live or butterflied too. If you anchor, always throw out adrift line.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Jigging mid and high in the water column is always a god idea, however don't forget the bottom 50ft. Our last time out we caught most of our larger aj's working jigs fast in the bottom 40ft of water. Larger aj's clean themselves by turning sideways and rubbing their bodies on the bottom. They become very playful while cleaning themselves. They will hit just about anything moving fast when in this "mood", but remain near the bottom. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts