Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hunting Blackwater for a little bit now and wanted to try for a turkey. Been practicing my calls, but I have no idea how to go about finding them other than walking around with a crow call or predator call. Just looking for some do's and don'ts to pay attention to. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a beginner myself. Look at satellite maps for creek bottoms. Get there early and wait until the crows start giving it hell. Gobblers will usually sound off a few times. I'm still trying to figure out what to do after that.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Scout the night before and observe where the birds fly up to roost. Go in before daylight and sneak to within 100 yards of the roosted toms. You will have to be very quiet. Put out a decoy or two in the dark and find a good hiding spot. When the birds start chirping as it starts to get light start calling to the roosted tom. Hopefully you can call him off the roost and to your decoy.

If going in blind be there early. When the birds start singing use a crow call or a barred owl call to trigger the toms into gobbling so you can get a location and start your sneak. Get as close as you can before they fly down. Do as above and try to call the toms off the roost.

If you don't have any luck first thing don't despair. After the Toms service the hens in the morning the hens move off to go get on the nest. The toms will start cruising looking for other hens. You will also have satellite toms trying to find hens in the morning and may have luck calling them in to a decoy.

Sometimes the toms will set up on a particular spot where they can see pretty good and they will strut and gobble. You can sometimes sneak up on these strut zones and get close enough. Wait until the Tom is strutting away from you with his butt to you and move closer. When he is coming at you, hide. I have killed many turkeys this way mid morning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really appreciate all the help! Gonna give it a try this weekend. I've seen some a couple times during deer season, so gonna those spots first.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
COVER. When you think you have enough cover, add some more. Then get a little stake up blind, then add more cover. Once you think you have enough cover (you don’t by the way) SIT STILL. So still that even you think your dead. When you can sit still, you can’t! Sit even more still! So by now you don’t have enough cover and your still moving too much. Time for those dreaded calls. Call sparingly, call as needed, but don’t call because you like the sound of it! He heard you, he knows your there. Throw the calls in the woods. After all you have cover and are sitting still. If you’ve heard a bird and you’ve called to him and your covered and your still...WAIT! Wait forever! Wait until people start looking for you! When you think you should get up WAIT! If your going to be late for an appointment, then you shouldn’t have a damn appointment! WAIT!

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,792 Posts
Some good advice, I dont know jack about em either, but got some good experience the past week by getting on a few birds.

Couple things I learned this past week from seeing it happen and from some advice from friends.

1. Less is more.... (calling)
2. Decoys in thick woods can spook gobbler.
3. Ya gotta be still, real damn still!
4. Tell ya wife to be still, real damn still!
5. Have patience, a lot of it!
6. Be still, real damn still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Some good advice, I dont know jack about em either, but got some good experience the past week by getting on a few birds.

Couple things I learned this past week from seeing it happen and from some advice from friends.

1. Less is more.... (calling)
2. Decoys in thick woods can spook gobbler.
3. Ya gotta be still, real damn still!
4. Tell ya wife to be still, real damn still!
5. Have patience, a lot of it!
6. Be still, real damn still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 and 6 are most important. #1 rule about turkey hunting is just dont start. Find another hobby.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
I got a crash course from Espo, and he hooked it up with some calls... gonna give it a try this weekend. Public land Blackwater, I know where a ton of birds were a month ago. I'll consider it a success if I see a gobbler. Realistic expectations I reckon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I got a crash course from Espo, and he hooked it up with some calls... gonna give it a try this weekend. Public land Blackwater, I know where a ton of birds were a month ago. I'll consider it a success if I see a gobbler. Realistic expectations I reckon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Consider is success to HEAR a gobbler. They have been tough to come by as of late. Oh. .... where ya going to?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I have a property that is full of turkey. Nobody hunts them. I will try next weekend if the seas aren't flat. I'd rather fish. But.....

Damn I quit turkey hunting 20 years ago because it is the crack of hunting. Once you start you can't stop. Hoping the wisdom and aches of age will temper that enthusiasm a bit.

Once you get one drumming and gobbling just out of range, it's like a girl on a stripper pole. Can't ignore it.

·
Hunter
1,002 Posts
The "sit still" advice is crazy accurate. I spooked one this morning , I swear I moved my gun a millimeter. That dude flew off so damn fast.
They are well trained around here. They usually don't hang around long.

Good advice mentioned. Two biggest qualities you can have is patience and persistence. All the rest comes with putting into practice.

Scouting is essential
Just because he doesn't gobble, doesn't mean he isn't near
As mentioned be still
Once he does get into range, be patient on your shot, don't rush it
Hang with them, especially late in the season. They may be a little more educated, but they usually are more vocal and lonely.

Good luck this Spring!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts