Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago I got hooked on saltwater fishing. It started out with cheap walmart spincast combos from a dock in the bay, to deep sea and pier fishing. I purchased a Penn Senator 113H2 and haven't had much luck with it! It is way too big and hard to cast off of the pier or from the shore, so Im in the market for a new combo. Ive been looking at the Penn Pursuit II Combos. But I dont know what size. I'm leaning toward the 8000 model because I really dont want to have to buy any more rods for a while, so I figure if I go with this model I can pretty much catch anything(within reason). Is there any reason not to go bigger? The main problem though is that I dont know what size rod to go with it. The options that it comes with is 7' and 10'. I want to do a bit of pier fishing, dock fishing, and maybe some surf fishing. I also have a lake house, so if theres any way to do any type of bass/catfish fishing with it then that would be awesome to double the usefulness.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go smaller if anything. 8000 is a pretty big reel to be catching spanish, pompano, redfish or especially bass on the lake. Your arms will be worn out from casting. 5000 size is going to be able to land a lot of big fish and wont be nearly as clunky to throw an lure with but will still seem like overkill to most people once they get a good feel for things. 3-4000 size will catch just about anything inshore and off the pier except for a good king. Are you ever on a boat bottom fishing without someone elses equipment available? If not then go smaller in my opinion.

·
skeeterbay
238 Posts
Go smaller if anything. 8000 is a pretty big reel to be catching spanish, pompano, redfish or especially bass on the lake. Your arms will be worn out from casting. 5000 size is going to be able to land a lot of big fish and wont be nearly as clunky to throw an lure with but will still seem like overkill to most people once they get a good feel for things. 3-4000 size will catch just about anything inshore and off the pier except for a good king. Are you ever on a boat bottom fishing without someone elses equipment available? If not then go smaller in my opinion.
X2! definitely wouldn't go with an 8000 size reel.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Id rather get spooled by a random really big fish than never be able to feel a bite or a fight from the hundreds of small ones you'll catch in between. If I could only have one rod and reel it would be a 4000 size on a good 7'6 rod. Ive landed good sharks from the beach, big bull reds and tons of pompano and whiting with a 4000 battle and sometimes I still feel like it is overkill for a lot.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Look at the new Diawa BG reels. They're amazing. I have one and will be switching my others to these soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay! I hear you! Chances are that I wont be catching many big fish anyway, and its no fun reeling a small- medium size fish in without having to fight it at all. That being said, I would like to maybe target a shark or two! Its always been a dream of mine to catch one. I dont want it to be too big. What would be a good size to target, and then what size reel would accommodate this best?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You're going to need two different setups. Your target fish are mountains apart. Get a 3000 sized reel for the smaller stuff, and keep a 6000-8000 on a surf rod for the surf fishing.

I recommend something like a shimano sahara for the 3000 on a 7' rod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see your point SpeedoJosh and you're completely right! I can get a Pursuit II 4000 7' combo and a Pursuit II 8000 10' combo for around $150 which is manageable. Would this be reasonable for the kinds of fishing I want to do?

·
Wolfgang
257 Posts
I bought a Penn 7500SS back in 96 and it has been on numerous rods. It has gone on several trips and caught some big fish for me, but damn it's clunky. I like it, it's tough as hell but it mainly stays home when the 714Z and 4500SS get to go outside and play.
One good thing is that if you buy a quality reel, even if you don't use it all of the time, at least you'll have it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts