Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be fishing in Destin with some family this Saturday if the weather allows it. I mostly fish inshore (although I haven't been out in a LOOONG time), so I've mostly got inshore gear with the exception of a couple cheap walmart surf rods. I picked up an Ugly Stick GX2 (7' Medium action) for a Penn Fierce 3000 I've had laying around, and spooled up some 15lb braid. I'm not sure where exactly we'll be fishing or how far out we're going, but I do know my uncle is planning to troll for cobia if they're still around. Just got a couple questions:

1) What's running this time of year that I could target with my current setup?

2) Is my setup ok, or should I change it up any?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will get to Pensacola tomorrow and fish through Friday, mostly near shore trolling. I'll get you a report, but I expect to catch Spanish, kings, Bonita and maybe jack crevalle trolling.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Cobia are typically not caught trolling, usually by idling up and down the coast just offshore and sight casting at them when seen with a cobia jig or live bait. Quite a few are also caught while bottom fishing over reefs or wrecks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cobia are typically not caught trolling, usually by idling up and down the coast just offshore and sight casting at them when seen with a cobia jig or live bait. Quite a few are also caught while bottom fishing over reefs or wrecks.
See. Total noob, haha. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shark fishing was good, but trolling was not good the whole time I was here. Bottom fishing near wrecks produced some small fish, but not the best fishing this week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shark fishing was good, but trolling was not good the whole time I was here. Bottom fishing near wrecks produced some small fish, but not the best fishing this week.
Thanks, man! Good looking out. Sucks they weren't biting for ya though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts