Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening partygoers! I need some tips and advice. My brother has bought a boat and is wanting to take me out fishing.
Me, I'm a beach man myself so I have no idea. His boat his a larger one so it can handle open water but I have no idea where to go and what gear, bait, etc, etc.
It goes without saying, but thanks in advance... tight lines everyone.
Forgot to mention, we would be coming out of Pensacola.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
How big is the boat?
What are you targeting? Trolling? Bottom dropping?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm a recent convert from surf to offshore, it wasn't a hard transition. Chicken rigs are basically the same to tie as a pompano rig, just heavier line and stronger hooks, they will catch most bottom species. Public numbers can be had with an app on your phone. You can generally catch live bait around the bouys headed out of the pass, but its not a bad idea to have a 20 for the Blue bait boat just in case.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother's boat is 27'. It's is not a designed fishing boat and more for casual than anything else. He wants to go to the USS Massachusetts and fish there. Him and other friends snorkel that area and has seen grouper, etc etc.
I don't know what is "in" season as far as offshore.

·
skeeterbay
230 Posts
My brother's boat is 27'. It's is not a designed fishing boat and more for casual than anything else. He wants to go to the USS Massachusetts and fish there. Him and other friends snorkel that area and has seen grouper, etc etc.
I don't know what is "in" season as far as offshore.
THere's usually a couple of goliath grouper that stay on the mass. Please for heavens sake don't keep one of them. That's something a Bammer would do!!!:yes:

How about fishing for kings and spanish around that area? They're about guaranteed and will readily eat a drifted cigar minnow or one trolled at idle speed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm open to the king and Spanish idea, anything else? I don't know what to do in regards to what to fish for in this hot weather.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Troll around that general area and also head west towards the sea bouts and the other grouping of boats in that direction. Troll deep diving plugs and spoons around 5 to 7 knots you can catch a variety of 🐟 all within five miles from the beach or pass !! Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts