Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends and I are visiting a Pensacola "want-to-be fisherman" this weekend for a mens fishing getaway. My friend's place is located on Pensacola Bay and he has a small fishing boat. Rather than defer to his suspect skils and bad fishing intuition, can anyone recommend some advice for October fishing in the bay area. What fish should we go after, etc.
Any comments are much appreciated.
-Tennessee Stud

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
depends on what part of the bay. But the reds and specks are usually easy pickens. The mangrove snapper and spanish macks are pretty easy to come by as well. Where at on the bay yall staying?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Like Tom said, 3mi Bridge (Pensacola side of Channel) would be a good start. Trolling the pass may yield some mackerel. Any broken docks or rock piles will hold specs/reds/flounder. Check out Google Earth... always a good first step.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a quote from my loser fisher friend, so that you will see what we are up against: "They always say 3 mile bridge. We are gentlemen and as such we will be fishing top water on the flats, not dead mullet on Carolina rigs. "

Please help.

·
Doc Holiday
49 Posts
Here's a quote from my loser fisher friend, so that you will see what we are up against: "They always say 3 mile bridge. We are gentlemen and as such we will be fishing top water on the flats, not dead mullet on Carolina rigs. "

Please help.
Well, you can risk getting skunked or you can listen to real fisherman that know the area and know where to go

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Top water on the flats works as well early in the morning. Might want to counter with a dead mullet on the flats or a topwater on the 3 mile bridge.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Correction, I just checked on a map and its in Perdido Bay, near Lillian Highway Bridge.
Ya know, I have never seen a fishing report from Perdido Bay, near the bridge. Just last week I crossed heading to Foley. I wondered if anyone ever fished that bridge, again; never seen a report. And it is to far north for me to run.

That new boat ramp at that bridge sure is pretty. I pulled into it about a year ago right after it was finished. However, I never see anyone using it.

I do know that upper Perdido was a "dead zone' for years, based upon the water pumped into it from chemical plants. But that has been redirected, and filtered.

Like I said, never see a report from Perdido Bay. Now up the Perdido River, freah water reports can be had.

South of that bridge, you get close to Ono Island, and Perdido Pass, yep fish in that area.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Don't know your buddy, but he sounds like he knows what's up with that statement. Top water on grass flats is a very productive method right now.
If that's not working, take those same top water plugs and look for diving birds.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't know your buddy, but he sounds like he knows what's up with that statement. Top water on grass flats is a very productive method right now.
If that's not working, take those same top water plugs and look for diving birds.

What he said - look for birds - we did that last week, and I caught my first Pelican, and three gulls. Great fight until it was time to gaff them.

Steve

·
Mark
31 Posts
Perdido Bay and Pensacola Bay are very different. Pensacola Bay is a lot deeper and has a good tidel exchange (flushing) and therefore more different types or species of fish.

Perdido Bay is shallow and somewhat constricted and does not have a very good tidel exchange or does not flush very well.

Perdido Bay holds good numbers of Specs, Redfish and Flounder, but you wont find many Kings, Spanish, Bluefish, Grouper, Snapper etc...

So your buddy is offering good advice - go topwater with plugs and you should do fine on the Specs and Redfish if you fish close to the mouth of the river you could catch flounder, Redfish, and even Bass.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
here is an idea. stop slamming your pal

This.

Im new here. Just been visiting this forum the past few weeks and enjoying the info.. getting my "fix" if you will since Im stuck smack dab in the midwest.. but man oh man, just reading this thread makes me cringe..

your "loser" fishing buddy? Come on man.. really?

I know people have differences.. but wow.. just wow.

:thumbdown:

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
If this is a legit thread and not a troll:

Top Dog Jrs, bone white or chartreuse with blackheads worked on top, at 3 mile bridge, always produce great action. You need to be just south of the middle of the bridge. Work them slow so they look like injured fish. Anchor under so that your boat is just on the edge of the light. But close enough to be able to cast to the pylon in the dark area. Work the lure from dark to light. Good luck, and ease up on your buddy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts