Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd never heard of this before, but a buddy of mine insists on the following rule when we have kids on board after dark and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes and it will now be considered a best practice on my boat!

After dark, pin or tie an activated glow-stick to the children that are on your boat. We used zip-ties and tied the glow-stick to the zipper on the life jacket.

This way if they do fall overboard you'll have a visual indicator to help you find them - apparently the glow can be easily seen from the air too.

Just wanted to pass this on just in case the unthinkable happens.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Good tip. Not a bad idea on the pier either. Also not a bad idea for everyone onboard. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't usually have chillren on the boat, but man that is an awesome idea. Do they make glow sticks that last a while or just single use ones?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Excellant idea. Glow sticks are one time use. It is a chemical reaction, so once the chemicals mix thats it. I have seen small lights that come automatically when they get wet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That is one of the best ideas i have seen in some time myself.I will pick some up and keep them in my flare kit now.Thanks for the idea.:clap

·
Registered
33 Posts
The kids do in fact love them. They always go on the kids when we are at Admirals Island at night as well. Sometimes we use the glow in the dark necklaces as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts