Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to beef up the insulation in my house and am exhausted figuring out which way to go. Do I just add to the existing cellulose or go the extra mile and have the roof deck sprayed with open cell foam? I’ve read about horror stories regarding spray foam but have also read that it’s the best way to go. If it were new construction, I would foam the whole thing. I’m just wondering how successful doing a retro job would be. I’d really like input from some professionals out there. The house is 20 yrs old, 3000 sq ft with a high pitched roof and a large attic. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,659 Posts
Measure how thick existing is and have it brought up to the rating you want. I would have it blown in just as Hired hand suggested.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting. A contractor friend of mine who lives in the north land told me I should get the cellulose vacuumed out and replace with blown fiberglass too. Is that really worth doing or just add to the cellulose? Cellulose in compressed because I had ductwork all replaced last year.
I know I can rent the equipment and do it myself but i’d Rather pay to have it done. Any advise for contractors in our area?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
We had our attic blown 2 years ago. Made a big difference in cooling costs. They did the underside of the roof, not the decking.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
“We had our attic blown 2 yrs ago” I’m assuming you mean spray foam. The roof deck is the underside of the roof. If i had new construction, i would definitely do spray foam and have the conditioned attic space. With my existing home, I’m now leaning toward just adding several inches to my current cellulose. The main reason i wanted to condition my attic is because some brainiac architect designed my home with the air handler sitting in the 130+ degree attic. Brilliant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Spray Foam

Not trying to make any suggestions but just remember about spray foam: You can almost never do anything to anything that has that stuff sprayed on it. It makes repairs or modifications practically impossible. Just sayin!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
“We had our attic blown 2 yrs ago” I’m assuming you mean spray foam. The roof deck is the underside of the roof. If i had new construction, i would definitely do spray foam and have the conditioned attic space. With my existing home, I’m now leaning toward just adding several inches to my current cellulose. The main reason i wanted to condition my attic is because some brainiac architect designed my home with the air handler sitting in the 130+ degree attic. Brilliant.
Pro's and Con's with foam(s). I have 3" of #2 closed cell foam directly to the roof deck, topped with +/- 6" of open cell foam with fire and ignition retardent including in the 2 part mix, cures hi-vis orange.
NB: Doesn't really solve your (inside) equipment locale, but just fyi the 30% federal tax energy credit is currently active, dimenuendo each year until gone in 2021. Good time to switch to geothermal while you foam. Energy Systems has a foam division and provides geothermal conversions using WaterFurnace almost exclusively. Just a thought to consider "while your up there kind of thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts