Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone analyze the following observations with regard to any predator fish.

Each day, but especially at dusk, miles of Santa Rosa Sound has small groups of pelicans and some gulls/terns circling and plunging from a high gobbling bait. The birds concentrate for a while, and then disburse only to concentrate for a while somewhere else. The water depth varies from 6 to 10+ feet. Now this action last for hours, yet there is never a fishing boat around. Is this migrating bait like menhaden or mullet with NO PREDITOR FISH(like reds) below or do you think something worth catching is eating them from below?

I have trolled through these with plugs(stretch), swim baits(Storm), thrown Gulp shrimp, pinfish etc without any results. A few days ago it was so pleasant outside that just being there(not catching) was relaxing...........but............if there are reds underneath, I want to catch..............Does anyone have a good analysis of that situation and any tips if there are fish to be caught.........Thanks...............AJ

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
This is the only place in Florida i know where bait congregates, and nothing chases them. If you go down south during the mullet run, theresbait jumping out of the water every 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Well I went out in the sound a few days ago and saw the pelicans diving. There were splashes everywhere so I threw atopwater. 10 min. later, there was a 15-20 poundred in theboat.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Dont knowhow your not catching them. I would just keep throwing whatever you got at them. You'll get something sooner or later.

I dont know if you saw the report my friend made yet, but seebull redfish insound 11/14/07. That was the trip I was talking about up top. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
L.D.D (11/16/2007)This is the only place in Florida i know where bait congregates, and nothing chases them. If you go down south during the mullet run, theresbait jumping out of the water every 5 minutes.
Iagere with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts