Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would let it go. Grumpy old men like this one are not going to change, and all suing is going to do is cause you a waste of your time and money. It will not change the old man so i would just say piss on him.

·
Registered
747 Posts
not being in your shoes but if someone held my kid like that they would have 1 hell of a dental bill. that aside instead of sueing maybe have your friend draft a letter and send it to him certified explaining his faults and what could happen to him. maybe that will help him see the light. but some people will never change. good luck but as previously stated make sure your son is ok. definetly don't want him being afraid or worse quit hunting.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
JoeZ (11/17/2008)See, if you'd a just punched him, all this would be over.

I miss the playground mentality of you piss me off, I punch you. If you don't fall down and punch me harder, you win, arguement over. If you do fall down when I hit you, don't piss me off again.

Too bad there's way too many crazies out there now to just punch someone. You;ll get shot ... or sued.
YEAH... I like the way you think.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Was the guy actually armed?If so, I'd try to press charges for his safety as much as anyone elses.

I don't think I'd let someone hold me against my will- especiallywhile I was armed, and If I walked up ona guy holding my son "hostage".....I can't begin to imagine how bad that situation would get.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry but....hold my 16 yr old and not let him make contact with me and I could very well go off on the dude. Over the top right there. That's just me.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Get the incident on record and have the lawyer send him a letter. Otherwise he will forever run around beating his chest and making an ass of himself. It would also be a good idea to spray paint marks on trees to mark the property line.

Just be sure that he is clear on what will happen to him if this ever happens again.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Sir Reel (11/17/2008)While visitingmy friends hunting club this last weekend in Georgia, My 16 year old son shot two does. The neighboring property owner immediately confronted my son in the stand, located on my friends property, accusing him of shootinghis deer over an unmarked property line. He berated and cussed my son for nearly 45 minutes before he called me about the situation. I would guess he is around 55 years old and my son is only 16. He told my son that he could not leave to get his parents. My son said he was afraid that the guy was a mental case and was going to shoot him. About an hour after the incident I arrived to find the man furious that my son had shot deer which by his description of the property line could have only been a couple of feet over the line, if they did not run after he shot them. He kept threatening to call the DNR but would not call when I said that would be fine. Not wanting an armed confrontation I apologized over and over and asked what I could do to make the situation right. The situation was diffused about two hours after my son shot the deer when another hunting club member came and did the same as we had done for the previous hour and a half by apologizing profusely for our actions. After talking to my hunting buddy who happens to be an attorney, he wants to sue the fellow for false imprisonment, unlaw detention, kidnapping etc. He says we need to teach this man a lesson and he will handle the caseat his expenseif wewill allow him to pursue the matter. Should I forget about it and just move on, or should I let my friend pursue it?
Sounds like you handled the situation just like a role model dad should. You defused it and done it without violence. The upside if there is one, is your son got a first hand life lesson that he will benefit from as he takes on the world, just sad it had to be in the feild, but don't you think he is gonna have to deal with such people as an adult? I have the think the property is large enough that future hunts aren't in jepardy, and going after the guy is just gonna make it difficult on your buddy (property owner) for years to come. JoeZ is right on, the days of working out disputes and going our way afterward are in the past, and to do so in this day and age, is dangerous. I would have hated to read about your episode in the paper, instead of on the forum.

I think you did a great job, Dad.

But, if you do decide to go after him, make sure everything is proper on your behalf. Your son is 16 so he is required to have a valid Hunting licence and Hunter Safety Cert. The property line is an issue, and in question. Just make sure you got the details handled before court.

Otherwize, Great job as you handled it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unfortunately I have had the same thing happen to me. I was hunting on my Uncle's property line and I see this guy charging toward my stand. Long story short he yelled and cussed my for the better part of an hour, called up all these "good ole boys" and had me surrounded, truck blocked in, and threatend to call the TWRA (TN Wildlife Resources Agency). It was a fine mess. I was only about 17 and pretty damn shaken by all these guys with guns and hot heads. Things got worked out and I was cleared of any wrongs.

However, it shook me up for a little bit. So I just wanted to make sure that you emphasized to your son that THIS IS NOT HOW RATIONAL people act. Don't let him become turned off of hunting just because of a bad experience. I'm glad everything worked out ok.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That guy was just out of line completely. I agree it couldve been handled in a much better manner by him, as allready stated you did a great job and set an awesome role model for your son. I would try and have a one on one with him after the fact, see if he has calmed down about it at all and see how he acts. If he still is aggresive and being disrespectful, i would sue him. That way you have given him the chance to chill out and appalogize for his actions and see where he stands. You dont want him staying upset because god knows what a person like that will do in the end.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pursue it. Some guys are just plainnuts, fanatics, loons etc over perceived "trespassers".A kid from out of town hunting on unfamiliar property with unmarked boundries does not deserve to be treated this way. When I was a kid a land owner two dove fields over from where we hunted shot a guy in the back and killed him when the guy climbed over a fence to retrieve a dove that had landed on this guys field. The guy claimed he had a right to shoot "trespassers". A good long stay in state prison convinced him otherwise.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Xanadu (11/17/2008)The issues you described are criminal and you should call the cops. Put him in jail.
This is absolutley true, from the way he was talking to your son (assault, a 3rd degree missdameanor) to holding a minor against his will ( 1st degree felony) both could put him in jail for a good bit of time.I don't agree with putting someone in jail for a missunderstanding, but if some random guy did that to my oldest son ( 21 yrs old ) I really think he would have shot the guy, or told him he would shoot him if he did'nt back off.It's not that my boy is violent but he at 16 would have probably been legitimatly scared enough to shoot. We have had a family member shot and killed while hunting turkey and no one was ever charged or even arrested.It was no accident either he was shot twice once in the side and once in the head at close range. There are alot of unstable peolple out there , however you end up dealing with this , the man needs to learn , for his own saftey, that he can NOT act that way.I applaud your level of maturity handleing the situation:clap

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well, this is a tough issue to deal with because of all the things to consider. I had an issue like this in alabama one time, when I was 16, was hunting on the left side of a road, barely pulled into a driveway to turn around, turned around and parked on our property. The man sat with a stool by my truck until I was done hunting and proceeded to cuss me for what seemed like hours, probably just minutes. As a kid, I can remember that I was scared, but realized that I too had the right to defend myself and so on. The problem with big time retallation is that being a neighboring land owner, you dont know what could come about of it.

The key questions is, did he ever put his hands on your son????????? Did he ever unshoulder his gun and point it at your son????? Did he do any physical harm to him????? If all these are answered as no, I really don't know how much legal action can be pursued. I mean, Freedom of Speech unfortunatley doesnt have a ear muffs button, meaning not limited to cussing someone out. I think you did the best thing apologize, realize that some people are just pissed off at the world and there is NOTHING you can to do solve their issue, talk to your son again and see if things can be made better sense of it, and if it gives you peace, call that man again. And say, look, now you have had time to calm down here is the situation. I dont appreciate ..................... and if he still gets pissed, then he gets pissed and you can sleep better at night. I would feel stronger if this was actually your property, but its not, and wrapping a kid up in a legal battle, is going to do more harm than good I think, and take up more time that he could be enjoying the outdoors.

Now, if that SOB did do any of the above to your son, he has two choices 1) Cantonment (or where ever you arefrom) beat down, 2) Legal action in no particular order! Just my .02

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,784 Posts
had a similar incident last year, my boy was 14 at the time, we were ridin 4 wheelers down a dirt road and some azzhat runs us down with his truck hollerin and raisin hell, we stopped and this cat jumps outta his truck accusing us of being on his property, WE WASNT, I tried talkin sensible to the jerk, but he took my kindness for weakness and just kept on, finnaly I had heard enough and told him to phuck off were are leavin, then he pulls his pistol out and says "you aint goin nowhere", I told him to watch us and I'd be back alone in 10 minutes, funny feelin turnin yo back on someone with a pistol in their hand ! we hauled azz back to the house, i grabbed my shotgun and came back in my truck, luckily for him and myself he wasnt there when I got back, probably could have got away with killin his azz if I had a weapon to defend myself with in the first place, but after leavin and coming back, I'm sure i'd been jailbound if I'd shot him then. ever since then I make it a practice to "carry" alla the time.

I would pursue pressing whatever charges I could against him.......... it might save his life one day !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Several people have asked how Ethan handled it. He has been exposed to people with mental illness in the past.He judged the guy to be mentally unstable and he was scared the guy would shoot him even though he never threatened to. He was just told him he could not leave. He did confide that he came down in the climber with his gun in his lap loaded and chambered. (this is a big no no in our family) He said he was unwilling, under any circumstances,tounloaded or give up his gun. His big fear was that he may have to shoot the man to defend himself.

Who kept the deer?....the issue never came up. So, once the guy left, I recovered and kept the deer.

While thisshook my son up...He chose to hunt that afternoon, and didn't hesitate to kill a third deer. He said it was his worst day and best day of hunting. The club president was extremely gracious to my son and I, who were guest. He conveyed that this had been brewing for about 5 years and since they have around 6,000 feetthat adjoins this man's property they will have to deal with it.

While I wanted to beat the crap out of the guy them shoot him. I am glad I did not take my gun and we were able to calm the situation down without anyone getting hurt.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
802 Posts
First off, I commend you for your restraint. Could have been an unfortunate situation turned really bad. I'm not a sue happy person (I think the guy deserves more of a head knocking than anything) but I think your buddy drafting a letter to put a little scare in to him might be the best for any future hunting trip by you or anyone else that might get into that situation. Who knows, the next person might not be so cool and someone gets hurt.

"Good fences make good neighbors" is the quote from Frost's "Mending Wall."

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
The guy is a bully and will continue to be a bully until somebody shows him that's not the way to be. I would at the very least report it to the sheriff and make sure he knows that I did.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I would not necessarily sue, but it definitely needs to be properly documented. A police report should absolutely be filed. Holding your son against hiswill is never an option and if it happened to your son it could happen again. Neither revenge nor retribution shouldbe the motive of the legal action,but rather a clearly understoodstatement of what was improper about the incident. Ifthe man is unstable, then this will likely escalate into something in the future, possibly with more dangerous results.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree that the old man was way out of line. It sounds like the stand may be on the border line of the property. Are you sure that the stand is on your property. A question of which side of the property line the deer were killed on is for another discussion. If it is, then somebody or someone, and it may need to be documented, needs to have a discussion with the old man that way it does not happen again. Like what was said in an earlier post, the outcome may be worse. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sir Reel (11/17/2008)The question in the other thread is what led to my post. While not an expert it was my understanding from talking with my friend the attorney that our situation would have been totaly different if we had physically been onthe neighbor'sproperty and he had actually called the DNR or Sheriff...He could argue that he was making a citizens arrest.But after learning the things I've learned I would be very careful before I held anyone against their will. While I'm inclined to forget the matter it could legally be a very delicate situation both civil and criminal. I also am very sympathetic to the post that questioned how many other times has this person dealt with people poaching or trespassing on his property.

Why would anyone care if you shot a deer 3 feet over the line? Does the guy think he owns the deer? Did he stalk the property to see if your shooting lanes aimed at his land?

What's his freaking problem?

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
wow, we need more people like you in this world... sounds like you remembered the 3 C's... CALM, COOL, and COLLECTED...

sounds to me like the guyset himself up for a few bullet holes.

you can't fix stupid.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts