Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ACCOUNTABILITY:
For the commercial fisherman fishing means making a living. It means supporting one's self and and family.
Commercial fishing adds jobs to our economy while providing fish for those not fortunate enough to be able to catch their own. It's a hard, dangerous, way of making a living:

Accountability: The commercial fisherman works under a very strict IFQ System. Every fish is accounted for. In addition, a working VMS is required. The vessel monitoring system (VMS) is a satellite-based monitoring system which at regular intervals provides data to the fisheries authorities on location, course and speed of the vessel. NOAA knows every move.
For the commercial fisherman it's most often not a question of getting rich, but surviving.
Properly managed there is a place for both commercial and recreational fishing.
To the avid recreational fisherman/woman fishing is...

A major problem facing the recreational fisherman today is the lack of accountability resulting in short seasons and un-realistic possession limits. Dock surveys and random phone calls provide little to NO real accountability. NOAA can interpret the data to show whatever it is they want to show.
Sector Separation separated the private boat owner from those who fish on paid for hire boats.
On federally permitted head/charter boats the accountability is there.
Grouper Snapper tally sheet:

I was on board when the FWC boarded the Florida Fisherman ll one hundred off Madeira Beach, Florida. The FWC officers were interested and extremely pleased with the Florida's on-going fish count:

This accountability is why the for-hire 'sector' 2019 Gulf of Mexico American Red Snapper season last from June 1 until August 2. Accountability proved that the 2018 quota was not reached.
Many suggestions have been discussed as to how to increase accountability for the recreational fisherman.
One idea calls for a 'tag' system. This could possibly lead to realistic catch numbers. But they are inherent problems... How and to whom would the tags be distributed? Would the $$$'s generated go back into the fishery, or in the pockets of those who buy & sell tags? This continues to be a problem with the commercial IFQ system as IFQ's are bought and sold for profit.
Hopefully these problems can be worked out allowing real accountability resulting in a better fishery for one & all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good post Capt Harbison. Sounds great except they lie. I have set through a number of Gulf Council meeting and heard commercial fishermen admit they fail to report trips when they think they can get away with it. CFH documenting catch on a paper plate!!! Call BS on that blatant disregard for the rules. Finally, recreational fishermen in Alabama where they went with a 100% reporting system---guess what---half of them lie. Stepping up enforcement would help but the fishery independent sampling may be the only way to determine the status of the stock.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"I have set through a number of Gulf Council meeting and heard commercial fishermen admit they fail to report trips when they think they can get away with it"

"There's crooks on both sides."

"documenting catch on a paper plate"
IT WORKS! This is on the spot recording to be added to a tally sheet and sent to authorities.

"blatant disregard for the rules" Exactly where is that?

" fishery independent sampling may be the only way to determine the status of the
stock"
Absolute useless waste of time & money!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Harbison

I remember years ago when you were arguing against sector separation. Now that it's in place and CFH were given the largest percentage of the recreational snaper TAC seems like your tune has changed...

Do the math on tags, there isn't enough snapper poundage for every saltwater fisherman along the Gulf coast to even get one snaaaper tag per year under a tag system,

You’re now part of the problem given you’re now advocating for tags.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Harbison

I remember years ago when you were arguing against sector separation. Now that it's in place and CFH were given the largest percentage of the recreational snaper TAC seems like your tune has changed...

Do the math on tags, there isn't enough snapper poundage for every saltwater fisherman along the Gulf coast to even get one snaaaper tag per year under a tag system,

Your part of the problem now advocating for tags.
It’s funny how when someone is vested in something, there opinion changes to whatever puts the most money in their pocket.

Thought I was the only one who noticed that.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I don't believe it matters. You can have 100% recreational reporting, and nothing much will change.

Recreational catch was huge this year => red snapper are being overfished. time to reduce bag limits and/or shorten the season.

Recreational catch was tiny this year => red snapper must have been overfished. time to reduce bag limits and/or shorten the season.

No matter what data they get, we've seen them reduce our limits and shorten our season. They twist whatever info they receive to suit their agenda.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,169 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
The resource belongs to the people, the problem I have is just a few commercial fishermen control the catch quotas preventing new fishermen to enter the fishery unless they lease shares from the chosen. Maybe I’m biased as I miss the days of selling my catch to finance another day on the water.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ever wonder why we the mass majority are so easily controlled by the few?
The answer is very simple...

"Even Ray Charles can see how full of shit old Harby is."

We are our own worst enemies.

We are doing exactly what EDF's NOAA wants us to do.
Sector Separation was set up to drive a wedge between the recreational fishermen.
To some it has!

"full of shit" Sorry! But I do not talk like that. I have better manners.

"Do the math on tags, there isn't enough snapper poundage for every saltwater fisherman along the Gulf coast to even get one snaaaper tag per year under a tag system,"

Really! Exactly what the feds would like you to believe.

What does the experts expert say...

Amendment 40 - Sector Separation
" Now that it's in place and CFH were given the largest percentage of the recreational snaper TAC seems like your tune has changed... "

I have been, am, and will always be a strong opponent of Sector Separation or anything short of an open fishery for one and all.

"You’re now part of the problem given you’re now advocating for tags."

Suggest re-reading to see what was said; not what you want to see.

"accountability is why the for-hire 'sector' 2019 Gulf of Mexico American Red Snapper season last from June 1 until August 2. Accountability proved that the 2018 quota was not reached.
Many suggestions have been discussed as to how to increase accountability for the recreational fisherman.
One idea calls for a 'tag' system. This could possibly lead to realistic catch numbers. But they are inherent problems... How and to whom would the tags be distributed? Would the $$$'s generated go back into the fishery, or in the pockets of those who buy & sell tags? This continues to be a problem with the commercial IFQ system as IFQ's are bought and sold for profit.
Hopefully these problems can be worked out allowing real accountability resulting in a better fishery for one & all.

"could possibly" Is far, very far, from... "advocating for tags."

"They twist whatever info they receive to suit their agenda."

Exactly! The "info" received is open to manipulation in that there is absolutely NO accountability. An accurate, VERIFIABLE, fish count would be a huge step towards eliminating...
"Recreational catch was huge this year => red snapper are being overfished. time to reduce bag limits and/or shorten the season.
Recreational catch was tiny this year => red snapper must have been overfished. time to reduce bag limits and/or shorten the season."

Ever hear of divide & conquer?
"You don't give a shit about the sport fisherman." Wow! A NOAA, EDF, Pew, dream come true.

I ALWAYS have been, and will ALWAYS be a sport fisherman.

ALL sport fisherman should share equally in the total, sustainable, allocations of not only Red Snapper, Grouper, but ALL fish!

Those who fish on head/charter boats can not legally sell their catch. They, we, are 100% recreational sport fishermen. As such the seasons should be the same for ALL recreational fishermen.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts

Reactions: Stoker1

·
Registered
80 Posts
The idea that anglers on charters are somehow different than anglers in their own, and friends, boats and deserve a longer season for ARS is an earthen ware container of excrement! They are still rec anglers just like us on our private boats. The longer season for charter boats is solely to allow those owners and captains to make more $$$. Let them fish for B-liners and mangoes after the season like the rest of us. It stinks Mr. Harbison.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
"Hey, Harbison - do you care about the recreational fisherman?"

Absolutely! Have been one ever since the late forties.

Once again... Read what has been said; not what you want to see.

"Your a sell out is what you are."

Far from it! I am 100% recreational and proud of it.

"They are still rec anglers just like us on our private boats."

Agreed 100%! That's exactly what I have been saying, fighting for, ever since day one.

"The longer season for charter boats is solely to allow those owners and captains to make more $$$"

WRONG! The reason is 'SOLELY' to drive a wedge among recreational fishermen. Ever hear of 'divide & conquer'? NOAA has!

My Marina of choice, Hubbard's Marina, has been and remains strongly against dividing the recreational fishermen. Captain Dylan Hubbard attends virtually all fishery management meetings fighting for equality among recreational fisherman. "The loner season" is great for business; terrible for fishing. Capt. Dylan Hubbard.

"He's going to follow the path of least resistance to a paycheck."

What "paycheck?" I spend many hours on the boat, and even more at home on the computer sharing what I believe in so much... Our Florida! To me sharing is pay-back for living a lifetime in Paradise. I make absolutely NO $$$ for what I do. To showcase our beautiful state is all the "paycheck" I need.

"Let them fish for B-liners and mangoes after the season like the rest of us. It stinks Mr.Harbison.

Strongly agree!
"Add grouper & Amberjack to B-liners and Mangrove Snapper and we, all of us, can still have outstanding catches.

Exactly what is Sector Separation and what does it do?

Per Reel Surprise Charters:
"Currently, the 11.1 million pound red snapper allocation is split 51% to the commercial sector and 49% to the recreational sector. With sector separation, the 49% recreational allocation will be divided between the private anglers and theCurrently, the 11.1 million pound red snapper allocation is split 51% to the commercial sector and 49% to the recreational sector. With sector separation, the 49% recreational allocation will be divided between the private anglers and the charter-for-hire operators. The proposed allocation under sector separation is 57.7% to the private anglers and 42.3% to charter-for-hire operators. charter-for-hire operators. "

The real problem:
"51% to the commercial sector and 49% to the recreational sector"

Why should the commercial sector receive 51%?
The recreational sector is huge compared to commercial.

"Just another piece of garbage trying to put money in his pocket by taking away from others." What money? Taking what away? I fight for equality.

" He has this ---- splattered all over the internet." The only thing I 'splatter' is a strong belief in equality for one & all. We should ALL have the same seasons. Anything less is unacceptable!

"Hey, Harbison - do you care about the recreational fisherman?

"Absolutely! Have been one ever since the late forties.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,170 Posts
My $.02 worth: seasons should be either open or closed for all. Including recreational, for hire, and commercial. Level the playing field.

This thing of letting for hire have around 30 more days and starting 15 or so days before the recreational isn't right. There's a place for all 3 sectors, make it the same for all.

BTY, name calling for someone that has a different opinion doesn't reflect well of our forum.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
BTY, name calling for someone that has a different opinion doesn't reflect well of our forum.
Your absolutely correct. Lowball move on my part. Came back to delete it but was too late.

Reactions: Stoker1
1 - 20 of 32 Posts