Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before. I still maintain a 4X4 (even better a dually: 4X6) w/ big tires, towing a trailer w/benches, storage (fishing and camping gear) andfat tires would be great. People could get off /on anywhere, and I bet it could be done for about $5 a pop. It'd be a cool little business, but given gov't "red tape" probably not worth the effort. Too bad...what a waste of such a great local natural resource!:banghead:banghead:banghead

Our tax dollars at work?????:bpts:hoppingmad:boo:moon

·
Registered
829 Posts
i hear ya...we got dropped off by boat at the pickens pier last weekend...had a blast...tons of fish and great views of the water. its a shame we cant put that place to use....instead we are just letting the snakes take over.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
from Gulf Breeze News..............
http://www.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2007/1025/island_news/030.html

"Preliminary plans, which have the road to Fort Pickens reopening in late summer or fall of 2008, including repairing the corridor there with interlocking, high strength, permeable cells that are filled with sand and capped with pavement, Eubanks said. The construction method, designed by the Army Corps of Engineers specifically for beach road construction, consists of polyethylene strips configured in a honeycomb. The design is said to help with erosion and stabilization"

·
Registered
244 Posts
question, anyone have a number i can call on this? i know people take their bikes back there, but personally i'm in no shape to peddle it. i have one of those little 49cc scooters and i was thinking about mounting rod holders and a little trailer on the back to use on bob sykes...i'm wondering if i can use that in any way to get out to pickens. if someone has a number i can use, i would appreciate it, would love to talk to an officer concerning this. thanx and remember to set the drag to SKREAM. buck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i have one of those little 49cc scooters and i was thinking about mounting rod holders and a little trailer on the back to use on bob sykes...i'm wondering if i can use that in any way to get out to pickens.[/quote]

Sounds like fun. Sure they got a bazillion reasons why its not allowed.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Too bad...what a waste of such a great local natural resource![/quote]

Ft. Pickens should have been opened to 4x4vehicles after the road washed out... permits issued & approved areas of operation marked. Rangers shouldn't be the only ones eligible to enjoy the park w/ off road vehicles.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
They've had plenty of time to whine about the hurricanes and lobby for more funding...now it's time to stop the BS and get the park open!!!!! :hoppingmad:hoppingmad:banghead

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I imagine the road is closed to all public motorized vehicles.

But if you have a handicapper permit and a gas powered wheelchair, I bet they could not say no.

Or if you mounted a video camera on your scooter and claimed to be making a documentary!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts