Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a grandfather from Pennsylvania and an experienced freshwater fisherman, some salt water fishing. The first week of June I will visit my 3 and a half year old grandson who has never been fishing. I am looking to make a memory and hopefully start him on a lifetime of fun.

I am looking for specific suggestions on a guaranteed fishing event with him. We do not need to catch monster fish, just catch fish. We will not use a boat so it must be from shore. Calm water is probably better than streams or rivers.

For each suggested location please specify:
Fresh or salt?
Ocean or bay ?
Types of fish ?
Types of bait / lures ?
Top or bottom ?
Specific location or address ?

I appreciate your thoughts !

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi!
What state, city, area are you visiting?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello all,

I am a grandfather from Pennsylvania and an experienced freshwater fisherman, some salt water fishing. The first week of June I will visit my 3 and a half year old grandson who has never been fishing. I am looking to make a memory and hopefully start him on a lifetime of fun.

I am looking for specific suggestions on a guaranteed fishing event with him. We do not need to catch monster fish, just catch fish. We will not use a boat so it must be from shore. Calm water is probably better than streams or rivers.

My
For each suggested location please specify:
Fresh or salt?
Ocean or bay ?
Types of fish ?
Types of bait / lures ?
Top or bottom ?
Specific location or address ?

I appreciate your thoughts !

Thanks so much.
My grandson lives between Pensacola and the military bases.
(sorry I did not include this the first time :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was plan B

I had actually seen this as a suggestion from the past posts. But, there is something in me that rebels at the thought of paying for fishing like that. I don't know if my age is showing or just my thrifty side coming out.

I was hoping to go to a spot or two on my own and if I don't catch anything, then plan to take my grandson to Steves. But that is plan B.

I am still hoping to get a plan A or two !

Still hoping !

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Get a micro lite rod and reel a cork and a pack of small bream hooks. Heat to joe patties for a pound for fresh shrimp, then head to any grass flat and put little chunks of shrimp on little hooks and hold on, the pinfish will be guaranteed fun as all get out and a child that young could care less about eating one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
How about one of the bridges or state piers in Pcola?
If you want to bring him to Orange Beach y'all can fish off of one of our piers-for free!
Late afternoon or under lights at night.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Get a micro lite rod and reel a cork and a pack of small bream hooks. Heat to joe patties for a pound for fresh shrimp, then head to any grass flat and put little chunks of shrimp on little hooks and hold on, the pinfish will be guaranteed fun as all get out and a child that young could care less about eating one.
Do this^^^ and go to the 17th ave Boat Ramp Park. Fish the seawall between the boat ramp and the drive on fishing pier. The seawall has a steel rail that will keep the youngster safe and you will have no problem catching Pinfish, Pigfish, Black snapper, etc. No need to cast very far, there is actually more of a variety of pan-size fish closer to the seawall with non-stop action. You can even toss out a small pin/pigfish out on the flat and possibly catch a take home trout or redfish. Shrimp like mentioned above will work great, but squid will stay on the hook better, both are available at Joe Pattis. Another bonus is that there are picnic tables at the park so you could do a picnic lunch or Krispy Kreme donuts is 5 minutes away.

https://public.myfwc.com/LE/boatramp/public/Ramp.aspx?FacilityID=ES00136MO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plan A so far

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.

I think plan A so far is to hit the grass flats for pinfish.

Suggested so far was shrimp. I have also seen several articles and videos that berkley gulp pieces work well and stay on the hook better. Can anyone tell me from experience if this is probably true or a myth ?

Another rig is a multi jig rig with a weight on the bottom (I forget the exact name right now).

I can test location and bait before I actually take out my grandson.

Still open to more suggestions and grateful for all of your help.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Most days gulp chunks work great some days not so much, squid was also suggested and stays on the hook well also. The other rig your talking about is a double drop rig, I rarely use one unless surf fishing but they can be useful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I recently found out about fishbites for surf fishing on here . I think the stuff is ideal for kids as well. It is very easy to use, stays on longer than anything, none of the mess associated with dead bait, and best of all, fish love it. Like others have said, a small rod, cork, bream hooks and fishbites will provide lots of fun. Don't forget the camera!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would suggest trying out behind Wahoo stadium in downtown Pensacola. There is a railing to keep people from falling in and it is a pretty atmosphere. Like others have said use shrimp and small gear for pinfish and the like. 1pound of fresh shrimp from Joe Pattis will last many times longer than a 3.5 year old's attention span. I would also suggest trying to have two adults go just to help keeping up with everything. Post pictures when you go!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Plans are lookin good

Pinfish are the way to go.
small hooks,
squid, shrimp, gulp pieces
sabiki rig (for me to prospect)

locations are good
Granny will be along with the camera

I am thinking of getting some got-cha plugs just for me. What size, color, series are appropriate for the Pensacola area ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Follow Up success

Pinfish are the way to go.
small hooks,
squid, shrimp, gulp pieces
sabiki rig (for me to prospect)

locations are good
Granny will be along with the camera

I am thinking of getting some got-cha plugs just for me. What size, color, series are appropriate for the Pensacola area ?

Thanks,
Well, I got to Pensacola and was able to go out with my daughter and grandson.

We had success and I have posted a pic that says it all. We ended up at Big Lagoon State Park at the boat doc and had trouble because of too many small fish (really small) but my grandson was able to reel in this beautiful pinfish caught on #12 hook with pink fishbite strip.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who helped us to make a memory

Popsbait

Attachments

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,544 Posts
Well, I got to Pensacola and was able to go out with my daughter and grandson.

We had success and I have posted a pic that says it all. We ended up at Big Lagoon State Park at the boat doc and had trouble because of too many small fish (really small) but my grandson was able to reel in this beautiful pinfish caught on #12 hook with pink fishbite strip.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who helped us to make a memory

Popsbait
That smile says it all. Thanks granddad, now he is hooked. That is awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts