Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p style="margin-bottom: 0in; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Over the past few weeks I have been getting progressively more depressed over this oil leak. I thought I should put the whole thing in perspective and try to visualize how much oil could possibly be out there, so here it is:</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">a container that is 100 feet long by 100 feet wide by 100 feet high can hold 7.47 million gallons of oil.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">That is: (L * W *H) * 7.47 = Gallons.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">That is one big container, but considering the volume of the gulf that is only a small fraction of one percent.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">I am not trying to down play this disaster, this just made me feel a little less depressed and I hope it will for you. </p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Now all we can do is say a prayer for ?Top Kill?.</p>

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
How dare you come on here and try to promote an optimistic viewpoint with your....your... Arithmetic!!!!! Don't you know this is a disaster of biblical proportions?!!! Worse than any hurricane!! Worse than the millions of tons of feritilizers,pesticides, herbicides, and heavy metal laden sediment that the Mississippi River dumps into the gulf every year!! Haven't you seen the closeups of the blobs of oil on the news?!!! I guess next you are going to be talking about dilution, attenuation, photodegradation, evaporation, and bacterial action!!!! Admit it!!! You're on BP's payroll aren't you?!!! :toast:D:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
<p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt">I will try to pitch in on the perspective topic. </p><p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt">Monday I calibrated and certified a Parshall Flume for a local Municipal Waste Water plant. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes">A flume is a standard way of measuring a open channel that is gravity flow.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> The throat on this flume was 18?. A 12? head in the flume represents 3.878 MGD (million gallons per day).</p><p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt">While I was doing this I thought that it would be a simple way to compare to the 21? riser leak. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes">Now the flume measurement is a no pressure /gravity flow.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Common sense says that the oil leak is more than 3.878 because of the pressure and larger opening.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> So I will be modest and say 4 million gallons per day loss from the Deep water horizon leak. </p><p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt">4 million gallons X 37 days = 148 million gallons. I personally think it?s a good bit more than that. </p><p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt">(Thanks for the correction. That was my mistake for the year.lol. <span style="font-size: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">So now a container that is 300 feet long by 300 feet wide by 300 feet high is needed to hold 148 million gallons of oil.)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">That?s a pretty big container. <o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">Then consider that 1 gallon of Oil will contaminate 1 million gallons of water.<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">That?s a lot of water.

<span style="font-size: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">

<span style="font-size: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">..<o:p></o:p></p>

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have believed for some time now that the leak was more per day than they want to claim. I can fill up my backyard pool of 2000 gallons or more with my garden hose in about 4 hours.. This pipe is way bigger than that with pressure on it. Just saw the latest Dawn soap commercial. They show animals with oil on them being cleaned off with Dawn.. Cuts grease yet gentle.. The Marketing folks are scoring a win with that one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some funny math going on here....

148 millions gallons could be contained in a box 266' by 266' by 266'. 2000x2000x2000 would hold over 59 BILLION gallons.

In any event, the whole thing is banged up and hopefully they cap it today.....

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I nearly failed math, so none of this means anything to me??? I do know it is a big ass spill! Pray for the to[ kill!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
handfull (27/05/2010)Some funny math going on here....

148 millions gallons could be contained in a box 266' by 266' by 266'. 2000x2000x2000 would hold over 59 BILLION gallons.

In any event, the whole thing is banged up and hopefully they cap it today.....
Not to mention that a 1 mile by 1/2 mile by1/4" layer of oil would be over 2.17M gallons.

1 mile X 1/2-mile X 1/4" = 5280' X 2640' X 0.021' = 290,400 cu-ft

270,400cu-ft X 7.48 gal/cu-ft = 2,172,192 gallons

So it would take over 1.08B gallons of oil to put a 1/4" layer over 500 miles of coastline 1/2 mile wide.

2,172,192 gal/mile X 500 miles = 1,086,096,000 gallons

The top side estimates are 39M gallons to date.

Not saying it isn't bad in the areas where it is washing up but.....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not to mention that a 1 mile by 1/2 mile by1/4" layer of oil would be over 2.17M gallons.

So it would take over 1.08B gallons of oil to put a 1/4" layer over 500 miles of coastline 1/2 mile wide.

Thanks alan your math is correct my humble apologies

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Ok, lets see...

22 miles x 6 miles X 3,300 ft = 116,160 ft X 31,680 ft X 3,300 ft = ~12,144Bcu-ft or about 91,000B gallons.

Of course that isn't all oil, so let's say the concentration is 15 parts per million or equal to the discharge limit for oil and grease run-off from a parking lot.

91,000B gal x 0.0001255 lb/gal = ~11.4B lbs of oil

(11.4B lbs)/ (6.9 lbs/gal) = ~1.65B gallons of oil in this invisible underwater plume

Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
rhumbrunner (28/05/2010)

Thanks alan your math is correct my humble apologies
No apology necessary. It was not my intention to ridicule and I am far from perfect myself. :toast

·
Registered
188 Posts
alanbarck (28/05/2010)
samiams (28/05/2010)Try this math on for size

<a href="http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/new-29404-oil-giant.html">http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/new-29404-oil-giant.html</a>

the sky is falling it just hasnt landed yet.
Ok, lets see...

22 miles x 6 miles X 3,300 ft = 116,160 ft X 31,680 ft X 3,300 ft = ~12,144Bcu-ft or about 91,000B gallons.

Of course that isn't all oil, so let's say the concentration is 15 parts per million or equal to the discharge limit for oil and grease run-off from a parking lot.

91,000B gal x 0.0001255 lb/gal = ~11.4B lbs of oil

(11.4B lbs)/ (6.9 lbs/gal) = ~1.65B gallons of oil in this invisible underwater plume

Sound reasonable?
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: large;">Might want to adjust these numbers I think it's a little heavier than 15ppm

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; "><div style="padding-left: 10px; "><h1 style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.8em; font-weight: bold; ">La. scientist locates another vast oil plume in the gulf</h1><div id="byline" style="font-style: italic; ">ByDavid A. Fahrenthold and Juliet EilperinWashington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 28, 2010; 4:37 PM<div id="article_body" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', times, serif; font-size: 1.5em; padding-left: 10px; "><span id="aptureStartContent">A day after scientists reported finding a huge "plume" of oil extending miles east of the leaking BP well, on Friday a Louisiana scientist said his crew had located another vast plume of oily globs, miles in the opposite direction.

<div id="body_after_content_column">James H. Cowan Jr., a professor at Louisiana State University, said his crew on Wednesday found a plume of oil in a section of the gulf 75 miles northwest of the source of the leak.

Cowan said that his crew sent a remotely controlled submarine into the water, and found it full of oily globules, from the size of a thumbnail to the size of a golf ball. Unlike the plume found east of the leak -- in which the oil was so dissolved that contaminated water appeared clear -- Cowan said the oil at this site was so thick that it covered the lights on the submarine.

"It almost looks like big wet snowflakes, but they're brown and black and oily," Cowan said. The submarine returned to the surface entirely black, he said.

Cowan said that the submarine traveled about 400 feet down, close to the sea floor, and found oil all the way down. Trying to find the edges of the plume, he said the submarine traveled miles from side to side.

"We really never found either end of it," he said. He said he did not know how wide the plume actually was, or how far it stretched away to the west. He said the plume was found in an area that had already been closed to fishing by the federal government.

Cowan's finding underscores concerns about oil moving under the surface, perhaps because of dispersant chemicals that have broken it up into smaller globules. BP officials have played down the possibility of undersea oil plumes.

This discovery seems to confirm the fears of some scientists that -- because of the depth of the leak and the heavy use of chemical "dispersants" -- thisspillwas behaving differently than others. Instead of floating on top of the water, it may be moving beneath it.

That would be troubling because it could mean the oil would slip past coastal defenses such as "containment booms" designed to stop it on the surface. Already, scientists and officials in Louisiana have reported finding thick oil washing ashore despite the presence of floating booms.

<div id="inline-ad" style="margin-bottom: 4px; padding-right: 10px; float: left; ">

It would also be a problem for hidden ecosystems deep under the gulf. There, scientists say, the oil could be absorbed by tiny animals and enter a food chain that builds to large, beloved sport-fish like red snapper. It might also glom on to deep-water coral formations, and cover the small animals that make up each piece of coral.

"You're almost like a deer in the headlights when you're watching this. You don't know what to say," Cowan said. He said the oil's threat to undersea ecosystems "is really starting to scare us."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts