Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delta boat, hard top, 28 foot long , 9'6" beam, diesel inboard. Stepping down into it from the dock caused the boat to rock back and forth, more than expected, much to our surprise. Our old Hydrasport 2550 didn't rock like this one did. Now the boat was light, ridding a couple inches higher when looking at the old water line. Was also out of diesel fuel, 150 gal. tanks, and most of equipment, junk, etc. had been removed.

Now, my question, when fueled and ready for fishing I would expect it to be more stable. A lot more stable? Does riding an inch or two deeper in the water make any noticeable difference?

·
153 large fishes
1,882 Posts
I would think that the deeper a boat sits in the water is more stable...throw an empty 2 liter in the water and watch how it rolls with no side up, then throw it back in filled half way up with water, and it will maintain its attitude in the water much better

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I would think that the deeper a boat sits in the water is more stable...
Not necessarily.....Take a 28 Bert. Move a person 2 1/2ft and that sucker wants to list the direction they moved. About the most tippy boat I've ever been on. They have a deep deadrise.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the bottle example. I also understand the Bertram issue. I thought maybe the modified V of the Delta 28 dive boat, even though empty weight would still make a stable platform. The 2550 Hydra Sport we had was a deep V and less weight, yet it was more stable than the Delta. We have also had a 31 ft. Chris Craft Commander, a 29 Aquasport Tournament Master and a 34 Californian. They were all more stable as well. Of course the Californian was a heavy, wide beam boat so would expect that.

We drove 9 hours to look at the Delta but never got past the dock. As each person stepped down upon it the rock was most noticeable, compared to our past boats. Since it was empty of fuel, wondered if we should have spent $450 to add fuel to the empty 150 gal. tank before we walked away??

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
hull design has everything to do with stability along with displacement.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sealark, what do I look for in a hull design to get stability at anchor?? I think the Delta was probably a modified V, but don't know if it had chimes, or even what the deadrise might have been. Haven't found one like it for sale that can show us the bottom to see what they have. Boats were custom made, as I understand, probably use standard hulls and than custom make to the new owners needs. I talked to the present owner of the company that built this boat, which was before he bought the company, but he couldn't give me any help.

Only 150 gal. diesel total. Not tanks with an s on it. Just one tank. My error.

Let me add more information. Want a trailerable boat. Can be up to 10 ft beam. Purpose, add kangaroo rig to pull a shrimp net and also be able to fish it. Fishing always done at anchor, hence looking for stability. Will fish mostly the bays but do go out in to the Gulf now and than, if 2 ft seas or less. Will be happy with 15 knots. Need creature comforts for co-owners wife if she is to go shrimping with him. V bunks, head will work and ability to a/c with RV type roof a/c and little genny. Want single inboard diesel, preferable Cummins. Hence looking at boats like the Delta and the Sport-Craft 272 series. A Sermons 28 would have been considered but it was sold when we got to it. Any other boats we should consider, please suggest them. Thanks

·
Banned
253 Posts
Let me add more information. Want a trailerable boat. Can be up to 10 ft beam. Purpose, add kangaroo rig to pull a shrimp net and also be able to fish it. Fishing always done at anchor, hence looking for stability. Will fish mostly the bays but do go out in to the Gulf now and than, if 2 ft seas or less. Will be happy with 15 knots. Need creature comforts for co-owners wife if she is to go shrimping with him. V bunks, head will work and ability to a/c with RV type roof a/c and little genny. Want single inboard diesel, preferable Cummins. Hence looking at boats like the Delta and the Sport-Craft 272 series. A Sermons 28 would have been considered but it was sold when we got to it. Any other boats we should consider, please suggest them. Thanks
Sounds like you just described a C-Dory. There's a dealer in Appalachicola. I saw a 22' cruiser with an A/C on the roof a few months back. I'd never seen a C-Dory before, and busted a U-turn to take a closer look.

Very cool boats. Comfortably outfitted, fuel efficient and built like tanks. (3-4 mpg at 25 mph cruise iirc)

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the inboard diesel sentence. Nevermind.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the C dory come with an inboard straight drive ever? If so some might be retrofitted to diesel. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
better check trailering and 10ft beam if on the road....
I have info on the 38 SFX and Sportfisherman Deltas....pretty stout boats and the hulls are generally CG certified...
If your gonna look for older boats I use the 1997 Brokers Edition of the Powerboat Guide by Ed McKnew & Mark Proctor, if you can find it around. Check Ebay and Amazon

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have experience with wider beam boats. The Hydra-sport was also a 9'6" beam. But we are trying to stay with the 10' or under beam since towing is easier. Annual permit and I have flags and wide load banners. Towing would be minimal- out for hurricanes and maybe for maintenance. Maybe once every year or two, tow to nearby fishing area of interest.

The boat books are of help. I have 5 different ones by Parker and McKnew including the 1995 Powerboat Broker's edition, but still unable to find some boats. For example the Delta boats aren't listed in any of mine but I do have an NADA marine appraisal guide for 1986 to 2000 which had the deltas in it and gave me some numbers for beam and weight. I also searched the internet for the Deltas and they are few and far between. Have to stay at 28 feet to keep the beam under 10 feet with them.

Appreciate the suggestions. Sure would like to find someone with a Sport-Craft 27 or 272 that has it in the water. There are a couple of those of interest but before we head out for another 10 hour drive would like to do the "step down from dock into boat test" on one of those.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Seems to me you need a boat with outboards, buying an older sportcraft with an inboard motor is just asking to have a lot of maintenance troubles. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We considered outboards but bringing a bag of shrimp in over the outboards is a challenge. Could swing them around and come in from the side but more system needed. As far as maintenance, I know what you mean. We had 3208NA in previous boat and they weren't bad after we put new risers on them, but the old Twin Disc 502s tx were a nightmare. Parts weren't available and they had to be sent to either New Orleans or Jacksonville to be reworked. This experience and a previous one in the Aquasport and the Chris Craft with Yanmars have led us to the conclusion the engine has to be a Cummins. Even though they are older boats, those with the Cummins are probably a retro fit and newer than the boat.

We have found the boat in Miami. That is another 10 hr. drive and haven't got it worked into our schedule yet. I did call and talk to them, and the agent they gave me for discussion wasn't very knowledgeable about the boat which was a disappointment. But if it doesn't rock at anchor, it is a good example of what we are looking for. I wish there was one around here in the water that we could get aboard for a check.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You can call a marine surveyor. Have them go look at it and take pics and see if it's worth the drive, unless you know someone else u would trust

sent from my LG G2 VS980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Rocking boat

The problem is--got to have boat in water and step down on it, than if it passes that test we sea trial, survey, etc, but no use spending money on the last items if it doesn't pass the first test. I know it seems odd, but if the women, who are avid fisherwomen, don't like it than it is no go. I told my son-in-law I would pay air fares to go look at it for the two of us and we could probably determine if stable enough for the ladies and if the condition of the boat warranted moving on with sea trial and survey. Schedule is not available right now so will have to wait an see if available at a later date. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Sea Dory =s rough ride in chop.

If you want stable, a cat is the way to fly. Otherwise, choose a boat built for the area you fish. Here on the Gulf we get a lot of hard chop, not long swells. The Sea Dory works well in big swells but it will slam your ears back in chop. Shamrocks ( the older ones) will beat your brains out too.

I ran a Dusky 25 with a 230 Yanmar diesel for 8-9 years and was totally comfortable. With the conventional IB it wasn't too tippy. The 33 Shamrock is a tank.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts